Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multi pattern selection
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multi pattern selection Post 303000475 by drl on Wednesday 12th of July 2017 05:16:17 PM
Old 07-12-2017
Hi.

Using standard commands, and the very small sample data set; the operative commands here are:
Code:
grep -E 'SName|ESys' $FILE |
paste - -

In this script and output:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate matching, joining.

# Utility functions: print-as-echo, print-line-with-visual-space, debug.
# export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
LC_ALL=C ; LANG=C ; export LC_ALL LANG
pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
em() { pe "$*" >&2 ; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C grep paste pass-fail

FILE=${1-data1}
E=expected-output.txt

pl " Input data file $FILE:"
cat $FILE

pl " Expected output:"
cat $E

pl " Results:"
grep -E 'SName|ESys' $FILE |
paste - - | tee f1

pl " Verify results if possible:"
C=$HOME/bin/pass-fail
[ -f $C ] && $C || ( pe; pe " Results cannot be verified." ) >&2

exit 0

producing:
Code:
$ ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.8 (jessie) 
bash GNU bash 4.3.30
grep (GNU grep) 2.20
paste (GNU coreutils) 8.23
pass-fail (local) 1.9

-----
 Input data file data1:
SName=abc123
ESys=xyz456
Host=xxx
Port=yyy

-----
 Expected output:
SName=abc123  ESys=xyz456

-----
 Results:
SName=abc123    ESys=xyz456

-----
 Verify results if possible:

-----
 Comparison of 1 created lines with 1 lines of desired results:
f1 expected-output.txt differ: char 13, line 1
 Failed -- files f1 and expected-output.txt not identical -- detailed comparison follows.
 Succeeded by ignoring whitespace differences.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can awk match multi pattern in a string

Hi all, I need to category the processes in my system with awk. And for now, there are several command with similar name, so i have to match more than one pattern to pick it out. for instance: binrundb the string1, 2 & 3 may contain word, number, blank or "/". The "bin" should be ahead "rundb"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters

Hello All, I am here again scratching my head on pattern selection with special characters. I have a large file having around 200 entries and i have to select a single line based on a pattern. I am able to do that: Code: cat mytest.txt | awk -F: '/myregex/ { print $2}' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print between multi line pattern

Hi, I have a file with text like this .SET WIDTH 10000 .SET MAXERROR 1 insert into new_db SELECT * FROM some_db ; +---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+- .SET WIDTH 10000... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substract selective values in multi row, multi column file (using awk or sed?)

Hi, I have a problem where I need to make this input: nameRow1a,text1a,text2a,floatValue1a,FloatValue2a,...,floatValue140a nameRow1b,text1b,text2b,floatValue1b,FloatValue2b,...,floatValue140b look like this output: nameRow1a,text1b,text2a,(floatValue1a - floatValue1b),(floatValue2a -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nricardo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed multiple multi line blocks of text containing pattern

Hi, I have a log file which has sessionids in it, each block in the log starts with a date entry, a block may be a single line or multiple lines. I need to sed (or awk) out the lines/blocks with that start with a date and include the session id. The files are large at several Gb. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find all the multi line pattern and redirecting it to a file?

I've a file like this {multi line ....... ....... pattern} { some other stuff ......... } {multi line ....... ....... pattern} { some other stuff ......... } and so on (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aamir_raihan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Scripting wpa_supplicant for multi-profile selection

Hi all. So, first of all my apologies for the noob question. I've searched around for a way to make use of bash arrays to perform what I need, but I'm struggling to understand which method would be better. So, I'm looking to get a bit more comfortable with scripting, hoping to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Techbart
1 Replies
env(1)								   User Commands							    env(1)

NAME
env - set environment for command invocation SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value...] [ utility [ arg... ]] /usr/xpg4/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value...] [ utility [ arg... ]] DESCRIPTION
The env utility obtains the current environment, modifies it according to its arguments, then invokes the utility named by the utility op- erand with the modified environment. Optional arguments are passed to utility. If no utility operand is specified, the resulting environment is written to the standard output, with one name=value pair per line. /usr/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses the default shell /usr/bin/sh (see sh(1)). /usr/xpg4/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses /usr/xpg4/bin/sh (see ksh(1)). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i | - Ignores the environment that would otherwise be inherited from the current shell. Restricts the environment for utility to that specified by the arguments. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: name=value Arguments of the form name=value modify the execution environment, and are placed into the inherited environment before utility is invoked. utility The name of the utility to be invoked. If utility names any of the special shell built-in utilities, the results are unde- fined. arg A string to pass as an argument for the invoked utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Invoking utilities with new PATH values The following utility: example% env -i PATH=/mybin mygrep xyz myfile invokes the utility mygrep with a new PATH value as the only entry in its environment. In this case, PATH is used to locate mygrep, which then must reside in /mybin. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of env: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the location of the utility. If PATH is specified as a name=value operand to env, the value given shall be used in the search for utility. EXIT STATUS
If utility is invoked, the exit status of env is the exit status of utility. Otherwise, the env utility returns one of the following exit values: 0 Successful completion. 1-125 An error occurred. 126 utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 utility could not be found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), exec(2), profile(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 2 Jan 2002 env(1)