Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Redirection? (I do find some of the strangest things.) Post 302989221 by wisecracker on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 05:45:02 AM
Old 01-10-2017
Hi RudiC...
Macbook Pro, OSX 10.12.2, default bash terminal.
Code:
Last login: Tue Jan 10 09:03:20 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> > /dev/null 2>&1 cat /tmp/noise.raw > /dev/dsp
AMIGA:amiga~> cat /tmp/noise.raw > /dev/dsp > /dev/null 2>&1
-bash: /dev/dsp: Operation not permitted
AMIGA:amiga~> 
AMIGA:amiga~> 
AMIGA:amiga~> bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin16)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
AMIGA:amiga~> _

NOTE: '/tmp/noise.raw' does NOT exist and that the error must be trapped somewhere but the __system__ one is not trapped.
However jlliagre's post makes sense because I thought it might have generated a syntax error the way I have written it, but it didn't.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i get the strangest feeling that lilo hates me.

i need to get rid of lilo's splash screen. i've heard that you can edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add this line: <b>append="splash=0"</b> anyway, i did that and i still have a splash screen. any idea why that didn't work, or what is another way to disable the splash screen? okay, -nydel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies

2. Programming

Complicating things?

So basically what im trying to do is ... Open file, read that file, than try to find .. We or we and replace them with I, but not replace the cases where words contain We or we, such as Went, went, etc a and replace them with the, but not replace the cases where words contain a, such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bconnor
1 Replies

3. Programming

Question about several things in C

Hey guys, first of all I'd like to say Hi to everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have a question about some C stuff. I am in Computer Science and I have an assignment for a UNIX Applications course. It is really complicated, however. We're using the C language for this and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V4D3R
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell redirection in find

hi, i need to clear data off a DOA backup drive. i try this, but just get a file {} in . and no change on the backup drive. bash shell find /mnt/usbbackup -xdev -type f -exec echo `date` > {} \; any ideas? thanks. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drewnichols
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just trying to find out a few things ....

Hi everyone Just a couple of quick questions if I may. Can I ask what is meant by "flavours"?? I've come across it many times in the forums and I'm guessing that it is a variery of either Linux or UNIX (I know nil about either) which has developed but not really got a clue. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tiramisu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Several exec on find send all the output to the last redirection

Example script: find mydir -type f -exec echo {}>aaa \; -exec echo {}>bbb \;The two paths go the the bbb file, while there should be one of them on each file. How should I do it to get it working? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies
7(16 December 2012)													       7(16 December 2012)

NAME
dsp - Open Sound System audio devices DESCRIPTION
/dev/dsp is the default audio device in the system. It's connected to the main speakers and the primary recording source (such as micro- phone). The system administrator can set /dev/dsp to be a symbolic link to the desired default device. The ossinfo utility can be used to list the available audio devices in the system. /dev/dsp_mmap, /dev/dsp_ac3, /dev/dsp_multich and /dev/dsp_spdifout are default audio devices for specific applications such as games or media (DVD) players. DIRECT ACCESS AUDIO DEVICE FILES
OSS 4.0 (and later) will create audio devices under /dev/oss/<device> directory. For example /dev/oss/sblive0/pcm0 is the first audio device that belongs to the first Sound Blaster Live! or Audigy card in the system. These direct devices are used when an application needs to access specific audio device (instead of the default one). You can use the ossinfo(1) utility with the -a option to get a list of the available audio devices in the system. LEGACY AUDIO DEVICE FILES
Traditionally OSS has created device files like /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN for each audio device in the system. OSS 4.0 still supports this legacy naming. These files are symbolic links to the actual device files located under /dev/oss. The ossdevlinks(8) utility is used to manage these links and it will be automatically invoked when OSS is started. COMPATIBILITY
o The /dev/dsp (default() audio device file will be supported by all OSS implementations and versions. o The special purpose audio default devices (such as /dev/dsp_mmap) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. o The legacy audio device files (such as /dev/dsp1) are supported by all OSS versions and implementations. o New style audio device files (under /dev/oss) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. However some independent OSS implementations may only support the legacy naming even they are otherwise OSS 4.0 compatible. o /dev/dsp0 doesn't exist in all Linux systems which use /dev/dsp for the same purpose. In such systems /dev/dsp points to the first audio device and /dev/dsp1 to the second. PROGRAMMING INFORMATION
See the Audio Programming section of the OSS Programmer's Guide (DSP(2)) for more info. OPTIONS
None FILES
o /dev/dsp Default audio device o /dev/dsp_mmap Default audio device for applications using mmap(2) o /dev/dsp_ac3 Default audio device for applications sending Dolby Digital (AC3) audio to an external receiver. o /dev/dsp_multich Default multichannel (4.0-7.1) audio output device o /dev/dsp_spdifout Default digital audio (S/PDIF) output device o /dev/oss/<driver>/pcmN Direct access device files for individual audio devices. o /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN Legacy style direct access audio device files. AUTHOR
4Front Technologies OSS Devices 7(16 December 2012)