Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BSD: Getting the WM loaded
Operating Systems BSD BSD: Getting the WM loaded Post 302932641 by sea on Friday 23rd of January 2015 03:46:54 AM
Old 01-23-2015
BSD: Getting the WM loaded

Heyas

Since freebsd has set TERM to xterm when in terminal mode, i'm very curious what its value will be in GUI mode - seems its xterm (in x11/twm) as well.. how smart Smilie Smilie

So i've installed: awesome and xorg, but when calling awesome, it talks something about invalid display.
So i've set it to set DISPLAY = :0 and tried again, but still no luck.
startx works though, brabbling about freebsd:0, so i changed DISPLAY accordingly, and retried with awesome - still no luck Smilie

Currently i'm looking for both, the systemwide awesome configuration, AND the pendant of RedHats /etc/sysconfig/desktop, which defines wich Login Manager & DE to load.

Guess i've found the 'source' folder (/usr/ports/x11-wm/awesome), but not the installed folder.

Finaly found 'a' xinitrc in /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
Where i've replaced twm & with awesome &, sadly without luck, though there was a change - not for the better anyway...

To summarize, i tried:
manual call
startx
xinitrc
{/etc , /usr/local/etc} /sysconfig/desktop could not be found

Even installed slim, enabled it, and when started it shows the 'session' as awesome, but when logging in, i get a naked X11, no menu, no gui, no mouse action but moving.

Curious, there is no lua package to install, but awesome is based on lua?!
Might that be related?
- No its not, package was named lua52 Smilie

What do i have to do to get AwesomeWM working on FreeBSD?

Thank you

Last edited by sea; 01-23-2015 at 08:28 AM..

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies
resize(1X)																resize(1X)

NAME
resize - set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [-u] [-c] [-s[row col]] OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's cur- rent shell is not /bin/sh. This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/csh. This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the special xterm escape code. If rows and col- umns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. DESCRIPTION
The resize command prints a shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm win- dow from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that do not have command functions will need to send the output to a tem- porary file and the read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out FILES
for the base termcap entry to modify. user's alias for the command. BUGS
The -u or -c must appear to the left of -s if both are specified. SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1X) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(1X) for a complete copyright notice. resize(1X)