Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permission denied
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permission denied Post 302893971 by bakunin on Saturday 22nd of March 2014 01:49:16 PM
Old 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinababy
when i run echo "User” > /dev/tty5 why do i get permission denied? Smilie
Because you are not allowed to do that. ;-))

Seriously: check the permissions of file "/dev/tty5" with the command

Code:
ls -l /dev/tty5

and have a look. Every file (device files are files too) carry a "r" (read), a "w" (write) and a "x" (execute) privilege for the owner, the owners group and every other user. See "man ls" for more details about this. Here is one of my systems:

Code:
# ls -l /dev/tty5
crw------- 1 root root 4, 5 Mar  4 15:51 /dev/tty5

As you can see the user "root" has "rw", his group (accidentally also named "root") has no rights at all and everybody else has no rights either.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission denied??

i'm trying to set up my internet connection and i was told i need to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets but i get a permission denied message...why?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./ Permission Denied.

Could someone tell me why I am getting a permission denied message when I attempt to run this on an out file? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouscaillon
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied

Hi, I can not execute a .env file $ . /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env -bash: /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env: Permission denied Even if : -rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2903 Mar 5 2007 /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env Please help. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I keep getting .:Permission denied?

I'll start off by saying that I know very little about Unix - however, I do know that I have a .profile file in my home directory, and that I should be able to invoke it by typing . profile. However, when I do this for ANY .filename, I get ".: Permission denied". I'm pretty sure that there is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbersani
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Permission denied

Hi guys im new to this db i have a small prob while installing websphereportal6.1i think i was installed succesfully but the error im getting is while starting server. check this out # ./serverStatus.sh -all Error loading: /usr/wps61/AppServer/java/jre/bin/classic/libjvm.so: cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varma917989
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied

I created a user so that when he logs in he will be directed to a menu /etc/passwd user1:x:115:1:Support -SysAd:/export/home/user1:/export/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh However when I logged in remotely from another server by ssh user1@1.1.1.1 , it saysexport/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. If the console is /dev/vt/active, the owner of the devices is the first user logged in on the consoles (/dev/console or /dev/vt/#). Upon this first user's logout the owner and group of these devices is reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd. Fields are separated by a TAB or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, (#), and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). By default, it is /dev/vt/active, which points to the current active console, including /dev/console and all virtual consoles (/dev/vt/#). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) are set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format, for example, 0774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. A device name must be a /dev link. A directory or logical name in the device name can be either one of the following: o A fully qualified name, for example, fbs. o A regular expression, for example, [a-z0-9.]+. See regexp(5) for more information on regular expressions. o The wildcard character * specifying all directory or node names (except . and .., for example, /dev/fbs/* specifies all frame buffer devices. Some examples of /etc/logindevperm file entries include: /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/[0-9]+/[a-z0-9.]+ /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/[0-9]+/* /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/*/* Specify all ugen(7D) endpoints and status nodes. Drivers can also be specified to limit the permission changes to minor nodes owned by the specified drivers. For example, /dev/console 0600 /dev/usb/[0-9a-f]+[.][0-9a-f]+/[0-9]+/* driver=usb_mid,scsa2usb,usbprn # libusb devices Due to the persistence of devfs(7FS) minor node management, the user should be logged in as root if the list of minor nodes will be reduced and the devices should all be plugged in. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices are reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typi- cally other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4), regexp(5), ugen(7D) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.11 25 Sep 2008 logindevperm(4)