Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strace help
Operating Systems Linux Android Strace help Post 302770800 by DGPickett on Monday 18th of February 2013 11:55:14 AM
Old 02-18-2013
My googling says android has bourne sh, which has $! normally.

---------- Post updated at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:48 AM ----------

If it is reading stdin, no problem. You can strace in the background, too, so the command is in the foreground and you can type:
Code:
$ strace -fvxs 99999 -o /tmp/this_trace.tr -p $$ & am start com.android.mail

This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help running strace

OK so I wanted to know how does grep outputs to the pipe and how sort reads from it. So I run a strace over "grep blah myfile | sort" and this is what I got: open("myfile", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3 fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=84, ...}) = 0 read(3, "blah blah and blah cause of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: klam
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strace

Hi Gurus, I need to trace a sqlplus session using strace. Can someone please provide me the syntax. sorry was not able to figure out by reading the man page. :-( i tried to do as below but getting the error xt33db006/u1/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/asm_1$ strace -f sqlplus '/as sysdba'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ioctl : strace

Hi All, int ioctl(int d, int request, ...); Can somebody tell me how does ioctl decides the input parameter: "request". Sometimes, its SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS or FIONREAD...etc. What is the pattern?? I am asking this coz my strace returns this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angad.makkar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strace

Hi, does anyone know the equivalent command of the following in AIX : $ strace -tp 15033 Process 15033 attached - interrupt to quit 11:28:06 gettimeofday({1257766086, 104118}, NULL) = 0 11:28:06 getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, {ru_utime={2270, 615813}, ru_stime={0, 634903}, ...}) = 0 Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help on strace output

Hi All, Good day, need some help on strace result. We're encountering oracle Database server connection slowness (using sqlplus login to db server, there have 1 or 2 secs delay) we had generated strace and provide to oracle to investigate, and they told us it look like OS problem (Our OS is Red... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: klng
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Running strace command

I want to run the strace -p xxxx -o in a script to monitor a process that hangs sometimes and requires a restart, my question is if strace is constantly running in the background will it chew up system resources and cause the system slowness? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wereyou
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Strace rpm requirement for RHEL 5.9

I have requirement for strace utility rpm package for RHEL 5.9. I have made a google for last 1 hr. but did not find the required one. Can any one help me out to find out the compatible rpm package of strace for Redhat 5.9 version (I require 64 bit version). (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
7 Replies
strace(1M)						  System Administration Commands						strace(1M)

NAME
strace - print STREAMS trace messages SYNOPSIS
strace [mid sid level]... DESCRIPTION
strace without arguments writes all STREAMS event trace messages from all drivers and modules to its standard output. These messages are obtained from the STREAMS log driver (see log(7D)). If arguments are provided, they must be in triplets of the form mid, sid, level, where mid is a STREAMS module ID number, sid is a sub-ID number, and level is a tracing priority level. Each triplet indicates that tracing messages are to be received from the given module/driver, sub-ID (usually indicating minor device), and priority level equal to, or less than the given level. The token all may be used for any member to indicate no restriction for that attribute. The format of each trace message output is: <seq> <time> <ticks> <level> <flags> <mid> <sid> <text> <seq> trace sequence number <time> time of message in hh:mm:ss <ticks> time of message in machine ticks since boot <level> tracing priority level <flags> E : message is also in the error log F : indicates a fatal error N : mail was sent to the system administrator (hardcoded as root) <mid> module ID number of source <sid> sub-ID number of source <text> formatted text of the trace message Once initiated, strace will continue to execute until terminated by the user. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample output of the strace command: The following example outputs all trace messages from the module or driver whose module ID is 41: strace 41 all all The following example outputs those trace messages from driver or module ID 41 with sub-IDs 0, 1, or 2: strace 41 0 1 41 1 1 41 2 0 Messages from sub-IDs 0 and 1 must have a tracing level less than or equal to 1. Those from sub-ID 2 must have a tracing level of 0. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), log(7D) NOTES
o There is no restriction to the number of strace processes opening the STREAMS log driver at a time. o The log-driver records the list of the triplets specified in the command invocation, and compares each potential trace message against this list to decide if it should be formatted and sent up to the strace process. Hence, long lists of triplets will have a greater impact on overall STREAMS performance. Running strace will have the most impact on the timing of the modules and drivers generating the trace messages that are sent to the strace process. If trace messages are generated faster than the strace process can handle them, some of the messages will be lost. This last case can be determined by examining the sequence numbers on the trace messages output. SunOS 5.11 4 Oct 1994 strace(1M)