Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arg list too long
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Arg list too long Post 302764491 by tkhan9 on Thursday 31st of January 2013 02:35:08 PM
Old 01-31-2013
Thanks - but that does not work either.
Maybe the ncargs value is too low on my system.

ncargs 6 ARG/ENV list size in 4K byte blocks True

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long

I do ls -l ABC*, I get arg list too long message. This will not happen if ABC* has small no of files I believe 4000 files is limit. Any way of avoiding this. I even tried like this for i in `ls -l ABC*` do echo $i done Same problem. Any solution would be great. I am on HP-UX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vingupta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

egrep and Arg list too long

hi everyone, We have a heck of a lot of files in a particular directory and I need to search through all of them to find a list of all files containing particular text strings...one being a date and the other being the name of the report that is printed on the files..... I've tried the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingo
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zcat --> Arg list too long

Hi all I have more than 1000 files in a folder and when ever i use a "compress" or "zcat" command it give error /bin/zcat: Arg list too long. . any solution for this :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

arg list too long

Does anyone have a solution for arg list too long error. I have got this from the web but I fail to make any sense out of it Thanks enc (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -t arg list too long

echo dirname/filename* | xargs ls -t As a substitute doesn't give the results desired when I exceed the buffer size. I still want the files listed in chronological order, unfortunately xargs releases the names piecemeal...does anyone have any ideas? :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSU_Ram
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long when mv files?

hello all i need some help because i am a unix/linux dummy...i have the following: DIR1> has 121437 files in it with varying dates going back to early April, a sub dir DIR1/DIR2> has 55835 files in it I need to move all files (T*.*) out of DIR1 into DIR2 that are older than today? Ive been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamos007
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long when trying to tar files

Hi, I am trying to perform this task: tar -cvf tar.newfile ??????.bas I got error "arg list too long". Is ther any way around? I have about 1500 file need to be tar together. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds3
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg List too Long in SCP

Hey guys. I have a program written in which i am trying to get the files from one remote machine and transferring the files to another remote machine using SCP. It works fine for 50 or 60 files but when the files grows to 250 then i get an error message stating "Arg list too long". #scp -p... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long

Hi, Help. I have a file that contains a list of users in a file. I want to cat the content of the file and feed it into sed to a preformated report. The error I got is "ksh: /usr/bin/sed: arg list too long" My method below. A=`cat FILE1.txt` B=`echo $A` sed "s#USERLIST#$B#" FILE2 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long error

Hello, I'm trying to search through 30,000 files in 1 directory, and am getting the "arg list too long" error. I've searched this forum and have been playing around with xargs and can't get that to work either. I'm using ksh on Solaris. Here's my original code: nawk "/Nov 21/{_=2}_&&_--"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kristin_in_CO
14 Replies
XCODE-SELECT(1) 					    BSD General Commands Manual 					   XCODE-SELECT(1)

NAME
xcode-select - Manages the active developer directory for Xcode and BSD tools. SYNOPSIS
xcode-select [-h|--help] [-s|--switch <path>] [-p|--print-path] [-v|--version] DESCRIPTION
xcode-select controls the location of the developer directory used by xcrun(1), xcodebuild(1), cc(1), and other Xcode and BSD development tools. This also controls the locations that are searched for by man(1) for developer tool manpages. This allows you to easily switch between different versions of the Xcode tools and can be used to update the path to the Xcode if it is moved after installation. Usage When multiple Xcode applications are installed on a system (e.g. /Applications/Xcode.app, containing the latest Xcode, and /Applica- tions/Xcode-DP.app containing a developer preview) use xcode-select --switch path/to/Xcode.app to specify the Xcode that you wish to use for command line developer tools. After setting a developer directory, all of the xcode-select provided developer tool shims (see FILES) will automatically invoke the ver- sion of the tool inside the selected developer directory. Your own scripts, makefiles, and other tools can also use xcrun(1) to easily lookup tools inside the active developer directory, making it easy to switch them between different versions of the Xcode tools and allow- ing them to function properly on systems where the Xcode application has been installed to a non-default location. OPTIONS
-h, --help Prints the usage message. -s <path>, --switch <path> Sets the active developer directory to the given path, for example /Applications/Xcode-DP.app. This command must be run with supe- ruser permissions (see sudo(8)), and will affect all users on the system. To set the path without superuser permissions or only for the current shell session, use the DEVELOPER_DIR environment variable instead (see ENVIRONMENT). -p, --print-path Prints the path to the currently selected developer directory. This is useful for inspection, but scripts and other tools should use xcrun(1) to locate tool inside the active developer directory. -r, --reset Unsets any user-specified developer directory, so that the developer directory will be found via the default search mechanism. This command must be run with superuser permissions (see sudo(8)), and will affect all users on the system. -v, --version Prints xcode-select version information. --install Opens a user interface dialog to request automatic installation of the command line developer tools. ENVIRONMENT
DEVELOPER_DIR Overrides the active developer directory. When DEVELOPER_DIR is set, its value will be used instead of the system-wide active developer directory. Note that for historical reason, the developer directory is considered to be the Developer content directory inside the Xcode applica- tion (for example /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer). You can set the environment variable to either the actual Developer con- tents directory, or the Xcode application directory -- the xcode-select provided shims will automatically convert the environment vari- able into the full Developer content path. EXAMPLES
xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer Select /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer as the active developer directory. xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode.app As above, selects /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer as the active developer directory. The Developer content directory is auto- matically inferred by xcode-select. /usr/bin/xcodebuild Runs xcodebuild out of the active developer directory. /usr/bin/xcrun --find xcodebuild Use xcrun to locate xcodebuild inside the active developer directory. env DEVELOPER_DIR="/Applications/Xcode-DP.app" /usr/bin/xcodebuild Execute xcodebuild using an alternate developer directory. FILES
/usr/bin/xcrun Used to find or run arbitrary commands from the active developer directory. See xcrun(1) for more information. /usr/bin/agvtool /usr/bin/desdp /usr/bin/ibtool /usr/bin/ictool /usr/bin/instruments /usr/bin/iprofiler /usr/bin/opendiff /usr/bin/sdef /usr/bin/sdp /usr/bin/xcodebuild /usr/bin/xed Runs the matching Xcode tool from with the active developer directory. /usr/bin/BuildStrings /usr/bin/CpMac /usr/bin/DeRez /usr/bin/GetFileInfo /usr/bin/MergePef /usr/bin/MvMac /usr/bin/ResMerger /usr/bin/RezDet /usr/bin/RezWack /usr/bin/Rez /usr/bin/SetFile /usr/bin/SplitForks /usr/bin/UnRezWack /usr/bin/ar /usr/bin/as /usr/bin/asa /usr/bin/bison /usr/bin/c89 /usr/bin/c99 /usr/bin/clang++ /usr/bin/clang /usr/bin/cmpdylib /usr/bin/codesign_allocate /usr/bin/cpp /usr/bin/ctags /usr/bin/ctf_insert /usr/bin/dsymutil /usr/bin/dwarfdump /usr/bin/flex++ /usr/bin/flex /usr/bin/g++ /usr/bin/gatherheaderdoc /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcov /usr/bin/git-cvsserver /usr/bin/git-receive-pack /usr/bin/git-shell /usr/bin/git-upload-archive /usr/bin/git-upload-pack /usr/bin/git /usr/bin/gm4 /usr/bin/gnumake /usr/bin/gperf /usr/bin/hdxml2manxml /usr/bin/headerdoc2html /usr/bin/indent /usr/bin/install_name_tool /usr/bin/ld /usr/bin/lex /usr/bin/libtool /usr/bin/lipo /usr/bin/lldb /usr/bin/lorder /usr/bin/m4 /usr/bin/make /usr/bin/mig /usr/bin/mkdep /usr/bin/nasm /usr/bin/ndisasm /usr/bin/nm /usr/bin/nmedit /usr/bin/otool /usr/bin/pagestuff /usr/bin/ranlib /usr/bin/rebase /usr/bin/redo_prebinding /usr/bin/resolveLinks /usr/bin/rpcgen /usr/bin/segedit /usr/bin/size /usr/bin/strings /usr/bin/strip /usr/bin/svn /usr/bin/svnadmin /usr/bin/svndumpfilter /usr/bin/svnlook /usr/bin/svnserve /usr/bin/svnsync /usr/bin/svnversion /usr/bin/unifdef /usr/bin/unifdefall /usr/bin/xml2man /usr/bin/yacc Runs the matching BSD tool from with the active developer directory. SEE ALSO
xcrun(1) HISTORY
The xcode-select command first appeared in Xcode 3.0. Mac OS X July 30, 2013 XCODE-SELECT(1)