Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell :copying the content from one file to another Post 302757855 by giridhar276 on Friday 18th of January 2013 06:02:03 AM
Old 01-18-2013
Shell :copying the content from one file to another

I have a log containing the below lines.
file1.log
-----------
Code:
module: 
module1
module10
module2
module002
module9
moduleRT100.2.1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 
moduleRT100.3.1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

file2.log
Code:
module1
module10
module2
module002
module9

Now file2 has to be generated from file1 by eliminating all module: and moduleRT etc. Only module that are postfixed with number has to be copied to file2.log

Could anyone please help me in this regard

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying content of a file

Hi, I have a file in my unix system let's call it FileName. First I want to copy its content into a another file, but outside of the unix, meaning I could open it at home. (text file would be perfect) Second (if it's possible) I need to take the first word of each line in the file (you know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talzohar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying selected content from file

I want to capture contents of a file between 2 strings into another file for eg all lines in between the keywords "start log" and "end log" should be copied into another file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: misenkiser
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive . what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me with the command and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive which has higher capacity. what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Information from One File to Another File in Shell

Hello, I'm new to scripting and I need help moving text from one file to another file. Here are examples what the files look like. File 1: Ac-223 2.10m A 1 0 0 0 Fr-219 358 9.9000E-01 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamachan414
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To tar the content while copying files

Any idea on how we can tar the content while copying the files from one location to another location using the bash script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying lines from multiple logfiles, based on content of the line

d df d d (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larsk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a string from a file using shell script

Hello everyone I am completely new to shell scripting in linux. I wan to write a script to search for a certain string from a .txt file and copy the string which apears just after tat searched string. Eg: in a file- try.txt , we have a line saying: "roses are red, so what do i do" I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishore920
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for copying text file to Excel Sheet

Hi, I want to write a program to copy a log file to Excel sheet. Excel sheet has four columns MethodName , Code , Description, Details and Time. I want to pick these info from text file and put it in excel sheet. here is how the text file looks - 04.17.2014 08:06:12,697... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hershey
1 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)