Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return a hash table from a sub routine Post 302746809 by itkamaraj on Thursday 20th of December 2012 04:04:21 AM
Old 12-20-2012
return the reference

Code:

$ cat b.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
sub get_hashes();
# Get two variables back
my ($one) = get_hashes();
print "Hash Keys : ";
print "$_ " foreach keys %$one;
print "\n";
sub get_hashes() {
        my %hash1 = (
                "1a" => "b",
                "1b" => "d"
        );
        return (\%hash1);
}

$ perl b.pl
Hash Keys : 1b 1a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating a hash table using shell script

Hi, For one of my programs, I need to have a hashtable as in Perl. Unfortunately shell doesnt provide any variable like hash. Is there anyway/trick, I could implement a hash in shell (using shell scripts/sed/awk). JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Programming

hash table implementations in C Language

Hello List, Iam searching for a solution where i can use hash based searching . In Detail , I have linked list which will be dynamically increasing . I need a best searching mechanisim such a way that it can take only one itereation . Right now iam using linear search which is taking... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlrk
11 Replies

3. Programming

Creating a Hash Table

Dear Friends, I want to create a hash table using the standard Glib header (if possible) so that I can store a structure and keep the hash key(search key) based on a string. Any example code would be great since I am not able to get the main idea. best regards Skull (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmetheskull
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nested hash table

Hi, I have a nested hash table say for example as follows: %coins = ( 1 => { "Quarter"=>25, "Dime"=>10, "Nickel"=>5, }, 2 => { "asd"=>34, "qwe"=>45, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to import external HASH table in PERL???

hello, I am creating a HASH table using file1.pl :- I want to retrieve the content of the hash table created above from another file named file2.pl :- The problem is that if I separate like this into 2 files.Then it says that HASH table is not created.So can you please tell me how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

distributed hash table operations(GET,PUT,TRANSFER) implementation

Hi, i want to implement hash table (put, get and transfer operations) using c in unix. so give some nice infromation on how to write my code. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaleab
1 Replies

7. Programming

Hash table

Hi, I hope someone can help me with the following prob.. I need to implement a hashtable whose KEYs are strings and VLAUEs are again hashtables. ie key - is a string and value -is another hashtable . So.... how am I supposed to be implementing my nested hashtable? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrew.paul
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hash Table like implementation in unix

Hi all, I just downloaded this example from the net. I was looking around for a hash table like implementation in unix when I came across this. ARRAY=( "cow:moo" "dinosaur:roar" "bird:chirp" "bash:rock" ) for animal in ${ARRAY} ; do KEY=${animal%%:*} ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anindyabecs
8 Replies

9. Programming

Hash Table

I was looking at this script and was wondering if anyone can explain what this script does and how does it work. Thank you for any help. State* lookup(char* prefix, int create) { int i, h; State *sp = NULL ; h = hash(prefix); for (sp = statetab; sp != NULL; sp... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print hash of hash in table format

Hi, I have a hash of hash where it has name, activities and count i have data like this - $result->{$name}->{$activities} = $value; content of that are - name - robert tom cat peter activities - running, eating, sleeping , drinking, work i need to print output as below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)