Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace newline character between a double quotes to a space Post 302680625 by ajahuja on Thursday 2nd of August 2012 06:24:52 AM
Old 08-02-2012
Error

oops an issue again !!

Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '(NR-1)%2{$1=$1}1' RS=\" ORS=\" STD_H.txt > STD_TRUE.txt

/usr/xpg4/bin/awk: line 0 (NR=1561): Record too long (LIMIT: 19999 bytes)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I replace newline character?

Hi, I am trying to write a script to prepare some text for use as web content. What is happening is that all the newlines in the textfile are ignored, so I want to be able to replace/add a few characters so that for a file containg: This is line 1. This is line two. This is line four.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghoti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

newline character, space and tab after a string

no problem (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelina
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed I want to replace space by newline

Input: -------------------------- 123asd 456sdasda 789a ------------------------- output wanted: --------------------- 123asd 456sdasda 789a ---------------------- I want this by sed in simple way please help (I know by: tr ' ' '\n' < inputfile )I want it by sed only (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double double quotes using AWK/SED

Hi, I have data as "01/22/97-"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa""aaa""aabbbbbbbbcccccc""zbcd""dddddddddeeeeeeeeefffffff" I want to remove only the Consequitive double quotes and not the one which occurs single. My O/P must be ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 3rd occurance of SPACE with newline

I have file with SQL output as 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Expected output : 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Let me know if this can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameermohite
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space by newline error

Hello I have had a requirement where I need to move data to a new line based on a text .So basically as soon as it encounters :61: it should move to a new line Source Data : :61:D100,74NCH1 :61:D797,50NCH2 :61:D89,38NCHK2 :61:D99,38NCHK12 :61:D79,38NCHK22 :61:D29,38NCHK5 Target Data... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamijia83
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space within quotes

i have an output that i receive and it looks like this: echo '/var/FTPROOT/px/sci/archive/20171102070057904-DY_DC04_Daily Inventory Sync-en-us.csv' '/var/FTPROOT/px/sci/archive/20171102070058291-DY_DC07_Daily Inventory Sync-en-us.csv' what i want to do is replace the spaces in the file names... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace newline with comma and append quotes

Hi, I have below requirement. Apple Orange Banana Required O/p in bash 'Apple,Orange,Banana' Can you please help. Please wrap your samples, codes in CODE TAGS as per forum rules. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rtk
3 Replies
SED(1)							      General Commands Manual							    SED(1)

NAME
sed - stream editor SYNOPSIS
sed [ -n ] [ -e script ] [ -f sfile ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Sed copies the named files (standard input default) to the standard output, edited according to a script of commands. The -f option causes the script to be taken from file sfile; these options accumulate. If there is just one -e option and no -f's, the flag -e may be omitted. The -n option suppresses the default output. A script consists of editing commands, one per line, of the following form: [address [, address] ] function [arguments] In normal operation sed cyclically copies a line of input into a pattern space (unless there is something left after a `D' command), applies in sequence all commands whose addresses select that pattern space, and at the end of the script copies the pattern space to the standard output (except under -n) and deletes the pattern space. An address is either a decimal number that counts input lines cumulatively across files, a `$' that addresses the last line of input, or a context address, `/regular expression/', in the style of ed(1) modified thus: The escape sequence ` ' matches a newline embedded in the pattern space. A command line with no addresses selects every pattern space. A command line with one address selects each pattern space that matches the address. A command line with two addresses selects the inclusive range from the first pattern space that matches the first address through the next pattern space that matches the second. (If the second address is a number less than or equal to the line number first selected, only one line is selected.) Thereafter the process is repeated, looking again for the first address. Editing commands can be applied only to non-selected pattern spaces by use of the negation function `!' (below). In the following list of functions the maximum number of permissible addresses for each function is indicated in parentheses. An argument denoted text consists of one or more lines, all but the last of which end with `' to hide the newline. Backslashes in text are treated like backslashes in the replacement string of an `s' command, and may be used to protect initial blanks and tabs against the stripping that is done on every script line. An argument denoted rfile or wfile must terminate the command line and must be preceded by exactly one blank. Each wfile is created before processing begins. There can be at most 10 distinct wfile arguments. (1)a text Append. Place text on the output before reading the next input line. (2)b label Branch to the `:' command bearing the label. If label is empty, branch to the end of the script. (2)c text Change. Delete the pattern space. With 0 or 1 address or at the end of a 2-address range, place text on the output. Start the next cycle. (2)d Delete the pattern space. Start the next cycle. (2)D Delete the initial segment of the pattern space through the first newline. Start the next cycle. (2)g Replace the contents of the pattern space by the contents of the hold space. (2)G Append the contents of the hold space to the pattern space. (2)h Replace the contents of the hold space by the contents of the pattern space. (2)H Append the contents of the pattern space to the hold space. (1)i text Insert. Place text on the standard output. (2)n Copy the pattern space to the standard output. Replace the pattern space with the next line of input. (2)N Append the next line of input to the pattern space with an embedded newline. (The current line number changes.) (2)p Print. Copy the pattern space to the standard output. (2)P Copy the initial segment of the pattern space through the first newline to the standard output. (1)q Quit. Branch to the end of the script. Do not start a new cycle. (2)r rfile Read the contents of rfile. Place them on the output before reading the next input line. (2)s/regular expression/replacement/flags Substitute the replacement string for instances of the regular expression in the pattern space. Any character may be used instead of `/'. For a fuller description see ed(1). Flags is zero or more of g Global. Substitute for all nonoverlapping instances of the regular expression rather than just the first one. p Print the pattern space if a replacement was made. w wfile Write. Append the pattern space to wfile if a replacement was made. (2)t label Test. Branch to the `:' command bearing the label if any substitutions have been made since the most recent reading of an input line or execution of a `t'. If label is empty, branch to the end of the script. (2)w wfile Write. Append the pattern space to wfile. (2)x Exchange the contents of the pattern and hold spaces. (2)y/string1/string2/ Transform. Replace all occurrences of characters in string1 with the corresponding character in string2. The lengths of string1 and string2 must be equal. (2)! function Don't. Apply the function (or group, if function is `{') only to lines not selected by the address(es). (0): label This command does nothing; it bears a label for `b' and `t' commands to branch to. (1)= Place the current line number on the standard output as a line. (2){ Execute the following commands through a matching `}' only when the pattern space is selected. (0) An empty command is ignored. SEE ALSO
ed(1), grep(1), awk(1), lex(1) 7th Edition April 29, 1985 SED(1)