Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot execute binary file
Operating Systems Linux Cannot execute binary file Post 302555007 by mark54g on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 03:16:07 PM
Old 09-13-2011
have you tried actually setting the execute bit for the file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

compiled binary file gives "cannot execute binary file"

Hi, I have two Solaris machines. 1. SunOS X 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500 2. SunOS Y 5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60 I am trying to buiild a project on both these machines. The Binary output file compiled on machine 2 runs on both the machines. Where... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scgupta
0 Replies

2. Linux

cannot execute binary file

We are getting one error when we execute the binary file below mentioned, and ownership goes to root:nobody, how to resolve this problem. sh /home/pub/bin/awk: cannot execute binary file :confused: Pls help me out . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to execute a binary file in solaris?

How to execute a binary file in solaris? I used ./setup.bin . I got the error ./setup.bin not found. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agarwal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot execute binary file

HI, i am trying to execute one .bin file which is a pre-installed (not compiled by me). But I am getting the error "cannot execute binary file".I checked the permissions and everything is ok. also I checked ldd <bin-filename> andit showed a msg "not a dynamic executable" Can anyone help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhag281
4 Replies

5. SuSE

can not execute binary file

When I am trying to execute a script created by Perl2exe in Linux SLES 8.1 running with virtual machine on mainframe s/390 ....I am getting "cannot execute binary file".... In the linux server which are not in mainframe the scripts are fine..... Thanks for help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anu10
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot execute binary file

As root, I receive the error message, "cannot execute binary file" when running some commands such as /usr/bin/clear or /usr/sbin/brctl or /usr/sbin/lsof. The system is running RHEL5.5. File permissions are 755. noexec is NOT set on the partitions where these files live. I've spent a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmithJ
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xcrysden:Cannot execute binary file

Grettings, Hi and thanks for taking a look at this. I'm going to attempt to explain this the best I possible can but due to my limited knowledge of linux this may prove difficult. I have attempted to install xcrysden on cygwin following the instruction on xcrysden webpage (I attempted to link the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zbay
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin - cannot execute binary file

Hey all, I am using Cygwin on a machine running windows 7 64bits. I am about to use the following command: $ faToTwoBit in.fa out.2bit In the manual on sourceforge it mentioned: "Download blat and faToTwoBit and set the blat_bin and fatotwobit_bin entries in config.txt to the fully... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
4 Replies

9. Fedora

Hi all, Probably somewhat of an obvous problem here but i'm no pro. I just bought a PengPod1000 at pengpod.com On it I have an image of Fedora 18. I am trying to run an application I wrote for Fedora 14 32 bit desktop on this tablet. With all permissions setup using chmod but I get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora18
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Hi, When i was trying to execute binary file i am getting the below " cannot execute binary file " error message." My Unix Version is : Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga) Logged in as Sudo user and $PATH Value is below ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies
LS(1)							      General Commands Manual							     LS(1)

NAME
ls - list contents of directory SYNOPSIS
ls [ -acdfgiloqrstu1ACLFR ] name ... DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, ls lists the contents of the directory; for each file argument, ls repeats its name and any other information requested. By default, the output is sorted alphabetically. When no argument is given, the current directory is listed. When several arguments are given, the arguments are first sorted appropriately, but file arguments are processed before directories and their contents. There are a large number of options: -l List in long format, giving mode, number of links, owner, size in bytes, and time of last modification for each file. (See below.) If the file is a special file the size field will instead contain the major and minor device numbers. If the file is a symbolic link the pathname of the linked-to file is printed preceded by ``->''. -o Include the file flags in a long (-l) output. -g Include the group ownership of the file in a long output. -t Sort by time modified (latest first) instead of by name. -a List all entries; in the absence of this option, entries whose names begin with a period (.) are not listed. -s Give size in kilobytes of each file. -d If argument is a directory, list only its name; often used with -l to get the status of a directory. -L If argument is a symbolic link, list the file or directory the link references rather than the link itself. -r Reverse the order of sort to get reverse alphabetic or oldest first as appropriate. -u Use time of last access instead of last modification for sorting (with the -t option) and/or printing (with the -l option). -c Use time of file creation for sorting or printing. -i For each file, print the i-number in the first column of the report. -f Output is not sorted. -F cause directories to be marked with a trailing `/', sockets with a trailing `=', symbolic links with a trailing `@', and executable files with a trailing `*'. -R recursively list subdirectories encountered. -1 force one entry per line output format; this is the default when output is not to a terminal. -C force multi-column output; this is the default when output is to a terminal. -q force printing of non-graphic characters in file names as the character `?'; this is the default when output is to a terminal. The mode printed under the -l option contains 11 characters which are interpreted as follows: the first character is d if the entry is a directory; b if the entry is a block-type special file; c if the entry is a character-type special file; l if the entry is a symbolic link; s if the entry is a socket, or - if the entry is a plain file. The next 9 characters are interpreted as three sets of three bits each. The first set refers to owner permissions; the next refers to per- missions to others in the same user-group; and the last to all others. Within each set the three characters indicate permission respec- tively to read, to write, or to execute the file as a program. For a directory, `execute' permission is interpreted to mean permission to search the directory. The permissions are indicated as follows: r if the file is readable; w if the file is writable; x if the file is executable; - if the indicated permission is not granted. The group-execute permission character is given as s if the file has the set-group-id bit set; likewise the user-execute permission charac- ter is given as s if the file has the set-user-id bit set. The last character of the mode (normally `x' or `-') is t if the 1000 bit of the mode is on. See chmod(1) for the meaning of this mode. When the sizes of the files in a directory are listed, a total count of blocks, including indirect blocks is printed. FILES
/etc/passwd to get user id's for `ls -l'. /etc/group to get group id's for `ls -g'. BUGS
Newline and tab are considered printing characters in file names. The output device is assumed to be 80 columns wide. The option setting based on whether the output is a teletype is undesirable as ``ls -s'' is much different than ``ls -s | lpr''. On the other hand, not doing this setting would make old shell scripts which used ls almost certain losers. 3rd Berkeley Distribution December 20, 1994 LS(1)