Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reset file permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reset file permissions Post 302540152 by msb65 on Tuesday 19th of July 2011 06:39:51 PM
Old 07-19-2011
Hi Corona688,

Thanks for the reply. The files/directories I am attempting to modify are not system ones, just simply some that I have created. I have been playing around with their permissions, but was hoping to reset them to my system's default settings (ie. whatever the permissions were when I first created them).

Mike

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take a file from the system and put on tape and reset the file to 0 bytes

:mad: I did this the other day but one of my support personnel removed my history so i could call it back up to remeber the exact command since i am air-headed at times. I am trying to take a 30 MEG file off the system and drop it to tape then i want to make the file go back to being 0 bytes so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reset Home Directory Permissions

I accidently reset the permissions of my /home/punkrockguy318 directory to root only. How can I get my punkrockguy318 permissions ( and all of it's contents) to be read/write accesable only to punkrockguy318 and root? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkrockguy318
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file after a password reset

hi, I had to reset a lost root password by editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files ( this is a xen vm file, so i mounted and chrooted the file ) after the reboot with an empty password on root , i have set a new password with passwd but it only changed the /etc/passwd file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset different and multiple .txt file content to 0

I need help. I have to create a cron job that will reset the value of different and multiple .txt file to 0. Example: Actual 172_21.txt = 25 192_101.txt = 10 192_168.txt = 5 10_10.txt = 3 After the cron job 172_21.txt = 0 192_101.txt = 0 192_168.txt = 0 10_10.txt = 0 The cron... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies
pam_console_appy(8)					   System Administrator's Manual				       pam_console_appy(8)

NAME
pam_console_apply - set or revoke permissions for users at the system console SYNOPSIS
pam_console_apply [-r] DESCRIPTION
pam_console_apply sets or resets permissions on devices in the same manner as pam_console. If /var/run/console.lock exists, pam_console_apply will grant permissions to the user listed therein. If the lock file does not exist, permissions are reset to those listed in /etc/security/console.perms, which should be configured to set permissions on devices so that root owns them. ARGUMENTS
-r Signals pam_console_apply to reset permissions. The default is to set permissions so that the user listed in /var/run/console.lock has access to the devices, and to reset permissions if no such file exists. FILES
/var/run/console.lock /etc/security/console.perms SEE ALSO
pam_console(8) console.perms(5) BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please report them via the "Bug Track" link at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>, using code shamelessly stolen from parts of pam_console. Red Hat 2001/3/6 pam_console_appy(8)