Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reset file permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reset file permissions Post 302540151 by Corona688 on Tuesday 19th of July 2011 06:35:10 PM
Old 07-19-2011
I don't know of a command to rest any random file to default file permissions. The system doesn't keep a separate 'default' for each and every file you make. If you screwed up some system files and need to fix it, you're going to have to be more specific about what you did.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take a file from the system and put on tape and reset the file to 0 bytes

:mad: I did this the other day but one of my support personnel removed my history so i could call it back up to remeber the exact command since i am air-headed at times. I am trying to take a 30 MEG file off the system and drop it to tape then i want to make the file go back to being 0 bytes so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reset Home Directory Permissions

I accidently reset the permissions of my /home/punkrockguy318 directory to root only. How can I get my punkrockguy318 permissions ( and all of it's contents) to be read/write accesable only to punkrockguy318 and root? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkrockguy318
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file after a password reset

hi, I had to reset a lost root password by editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files ( this is a xen vm file, so i mounted and chrooted the file ) after the reboot with an empty password on root , i have set a new password with passwd but it only changed the /etc/passwd file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset different and multiple .txt file content to 0

I need help. I have to create a cron job that will reset the value of different and multiple .txt file to 0. Example: Actual 172_21.txt = 25 192_101.txt = 10 192_168.txt = 5 10_10.txt = 3 After the cron job 172_21.txt = 0 192_101.txt = 0 192_168.txt = 0 10_10.txt = 0 The cron... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies
fs_wrapper(5)							File Formats Manual						     fs_wrapper(5)

NAME
fs_wrapper - configuration and binary files used by file system administration commands SYNOPSIS
FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... FStype] ... DESCRIPTION
The commands listed in the SYNOPSIS can operate on different types of file systems. Each command (except for reads file system specific configuration files that control the command's behavior, and invokes a file system specific binary file to do the actual work. FStype is the file system type as optionally specified on the command line. If FStype is not given, then the file system type is determined from by matching an entry in this file with a device provided with the command (see individual commands for details of usage). Administrators may also define a default file system type for the above commands via the file If this file exists, and contains the line: (e.g., then the above commands will assume the FStype given in unless an FStype is provided on the command line or is in The default file system specification is provided to maintain compatibility with pre-10.0 invocations of the commands. See the FILES section for a list of the files used. WARNINGS
The configuration files are supplied by HP or by other file system vendors. They are not meant to be edited by System Administrators. Corruption or removal of these files may lead to strange behavior, including the inability to boot. The format of the configuration file is subject to change. The file system specific binary files are not normally executed directly. However, if the configuration files become unusable, direct exe- cution of these binary files may be a useful step in repairing and running the system again. The binary files accept the same arguments as the commands by which they are executed. The command is a special case. This command currently does not read a configuration file, and does not execute a file system specific binary file if FStype is or The binary that handles these FStypes also processes other FStypes and calls the file system specific command if appropriate. For historical reasons, the binary files also handle and so there are no separate binary files for the latter two file systems. The commands (except will not work if they are renamed, because they are symbolically linked to a single executable FILES
FStype is the file system type as optionally specified on the command line. command is the name of the command. File system specific binary files for the and commands. There may be additional file system specific binary files in this directory that are not associated with File system specific binary files for the remaining commands. There may also be other file system specific binary files in this directory that are not associated with Configuration files for each file system type. File in which the default file system type can be defined. If this file does not exist, there is no default file system type. Static information about the file systems SEE ALSO
ff(1M), fsck(1M), fsdb(1M), mkfs(1M), mount(1M), ncheck(1M), newfs(1M), quot(1M), quotacheck(1M), volcopy(1M), fstab(4). fs_wrapper(5)