Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris difference between init and shutdown Post 302338293 by rogerben on Monday 27th of July 2009 12:57:40 PM
Old 07-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by upengan78
What it means is that, if you give shutdown command in a solaris shell, then anyone connected to system shell will see a message on their screen that system is going down in 1 minute...then again after 30 seconds...

You can ssh to your test system and watch the screen. At the same time give shutdown command at console. See it yourself. Smilie
thnks a lot ..Smilie
rogerben

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

difference b/w halt shutdown

Hi, I want to know the difference between halt and shutdown commands and which is better to use? Regards, visu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu_ak
2 Replies

2. AIX

Difference between "shutdown" and "shutdown -h" ?

Hi, What is the difference between those two ? thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

3. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

Difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'

What is the difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'. I know that both will work to change the current run level to single user mode. Is there any difference in those two commands? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

The difference between init.d and xinit.d dir ...

What's the difference between the two. I've seen xinit.d directory not always but on some systems. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Difference b/w init s and init1 in red hat linux?

Hi, Guys can any one explain me the difference between init s and init 1 in linux? this would be very useful.... thanx in advance.. regards Amandeep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman.singh2886
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

No init messages display during startup/shutdown

This question is more in the line of how init messages get sent to a console during startup/shutdown. My problem has to do with exporting a VM from AWS to KVM (and a retry on virtual box). I am looking for a understanding on how init messages are sent to a device and what controls them My two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtkells
0 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, poweroff, halt -- restarting, powering down and stopping the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-dlnpqvxz] poweroff [-dlnqvxz] reboot [-dlnqvxz] [arg ...] DESCRIPTION
The poweroff, halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM, wait for up to 30 seconds for them to die, send a SIGKILL to the survivors and, respectively, power down, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the login accounting file and sending a message via syslog(3). The options are as follows: -d Create a dump before halting or restarting. This option is useful for debugging system dump procedures or capturing the state of a corrupted or misbehaving system. -l Suppress sending a message via syslog(3) before halting or restarting. -n Do not flush the file system cache. This option should be used with extreme caution. It can be used if a disk or a processor is on fire. -p Attempt to powerdown the system. If the powerdown fails, or the system does not support software powerdown, the system will halt. This option is only valid for halt. -v To enable verbose messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_VERBOSE to reboot(2). -x To enable debugging messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_DEBUG to reboot(2). -z To silence some shutdown messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_SILENT to reboot(2). -q Do not give processes a chance to shut down before halting or restarting. This option should not normally be used. If there are any arguments passed to reboot they are concatenated with spaces and passed as bootstr to the reboot(2) system call. The string is passed to the firmware on platforms that support it. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom. SEE ALSO
reboot(2), syslog(3), utmp(5), boot(8), init(8), rescue(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The poweroff command first appeared in NetBSD 1.5. CAVEATS
Once the command has begun its work, stopping it before it completes will probably result in a system so crippled it must be physically reset. To prevent premature termination, the command blocks many signals early in its execution. However, nothing can defend against delib- erate attempts to evade this. This command will stop the system without running any shutdown(8) scripts. Amongst other things, this means that swapping will not be dis- abled so that raid(4) can shutdown cleanly. You should normally use shutdown(8) unless you are running in single user mode. BUGS
The single user shell will ignore the SIGTERM signal. To avoid waiting for the timeout when rebooting or halting from the single user shell, you have to exec reboot or exec halt. BSD
February 16, 2011 BSD