Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in Setting Environment variables in TCSH Post 302168378 by agn on Monday 18th of February 2008 07:16:17 AM
Old 02-18-2008
The shell script is sourced by a different shell, not the one you invoke it from. The shell exits when its done executing the shell script. So its a different session. Hence you won't be able to access the variables set in a shell script. So you'll need to set env variables in your shell from which you invoke the shell script. And you;ll be able to use the variabels in your shell script. Or you can set it in your .profile or .${SHELL}rc .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting environment variables ???

Hello, I want to set some environment variables with this script: ip=$@ echo Remote Computer: $ip PERLDB_OPTS="CallKomodo=$ip:9000 RemotePort=$ip:9010 PrintRet=0" export PERLDB_OPTS PERL5LIB=/opt/komodo export PERL5LIB echo PERLDB_OPTS: $PERLDB_OPTS echo PERL5LIB: $PERL5LIB But it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gargamel
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up Environment Variables

Hi all, I am trying to set up some variables in a shell script. The variables contain values of various paths needed to run a java module. The problem is the variables dont seem to be setting at all. here is what i am trying to do : JAR_HOME=/home/was5/bdcms/scheduledjobs/lib export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpandey
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables in Makefile

I've seen a few other threads like this, but they either went unanswered or failed to answer my question. How do I set an environment variable in a Makefile? What I'm trying to do is use GNU make to automate an ant build. In order to run ant, I've got to first set a few environment... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bags
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with setting up environment variables

hi all, I would appreciate if some one could explain me the difference between setting up the variables as shown below HOME=${HOME:-"/home/user1"} HOME=/home/user1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SSSB
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Environment Variables

#!/bin/bash if ; then ASS1_DATA_DIR=./ echo $ASS1_DATA_DIR export ASS1_DATA_DIR echo "data dir" fi if ; then ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR=./ export ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR fi I want to create a new environment variable ASS1_DATA_DIR and ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR in bash and set them to the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up environment variables

Hi all, This is my first post here. I need to set up a few environment variables with a shell script. Some are hard-coded, but some should come from other commands or as input from the user. How do I do that? For example, I need to export a variable as such: export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:8.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem setting environment variables from script

Hi all! I know that environment variables can be set on the .bashrc file, but I need to set them from a sh script. I saw a lot of websites that teach this but it doesn't work for me. #!/bin/sh DEKTOP=$DESKTOP=:/home/rrodrigues/Desktop export DESKTOP if I do echo $DESKTOP returns me... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables in Cron file

Hi, In Cron file i'm using username and password hard-coded and now i wann to use environmental veraiables in cron file. But Could you please guide me how to use these environmental variables in cron file ? Thanks, Shyamu.A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting environment variables with space

Hi, I'm having problems setting environment variable that has space value. Below is my shell script. export LINE=$@ TO=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $1}'` CC=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $2}'` BC=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $3}'` echo "TO=$TO" echo "CC=$CC" echo "BC=$BC" echo "1=$1" echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables from a file :

Hi, I have around 10 environment variables in my shell script. i want to set this all in a file and just call that file in my shell script. How can i do that ? Please help. TIA! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
6 Replies