Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to move word by word on command line Post 302146932 by pbsrinivas on Friday 23rd of November 2007 04:50:36 AM
Old 11-23-2007
how to move word by word on command line

Hey All,

On commad promt of a shell..

How can we move our cursor word by word.

Like Ctrl+A takes to the starting of the command...

Any shortcut like that..?

Thanks
pbsrinivas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

move the last word to begining of next line - SED

Hello, I'm trying to move the last word of matching pattern to the begining of next line. Appreciate if anyone post the script. From the below line I'm getting the last word, Note: this word also appears in many places in my file #return the last word of line that contains ListenPort sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskar
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.In that line only one word will be there. pl help:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression for replacing the fist word with a last word in line

I have a File with the below contents File1 I have no prior experience in unix. I have just started to work in unix. My experience in unix is 0. My Total It exp is 3 yrs. I need to replace the first word in each line with the last word for example unix have no prior experience in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri_swami
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print word 1 in line 1 and word 2 in line 2 if it matches a pattern

i have a file in this pattern MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangaram
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a word with new line and /

Hi, I have been trying to replace the key word "SQL> spool off " with "/ show errors" with out double quotes in all the files in a directory. above show erros should be displayed next line Could you please help me how to do that. I have tried something like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a line and output in which line the word occurs / no. of times it occurred

I have a file: file.txt, which contains the following data in it. This is a file, my name is Karl, what is this process, karl is karl junior, file is a test file, file's name is file.txt My name is not Karl, my name is Karl Joey What is your name? Do you know your name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need a command to remove the last word in the first line of a file

I have a eg file op.txt This is a cat This is a fat cat This is a fat black cat I want to remove only the word cat from the first alone .can somebody help. please do wrap your samples in CODE TAGS As per forum rules. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharks
7 Replies
FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)						   Fvwm Modules 						FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)

NAME
FvwmConsoleC.pl - Command editor for fvwm command input interface SYNOPSIS
FvwmConsole -e /usr/X11/lib/fvwm/FvwmConsoleC.pl COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1996, Toshi Isogai. No guarantees or warranties are provided. Use this program at your own risk. Permission to use this program for any purpose is given, as long as the copyright is kept intact. DESCRIPTION
FvwmConsoleC.pl offers editing capabilities while the user is entering the line. By default, the line editing commands are similar to those of emacs. It also offers substitution , which replaces a pattern to a string before it sends the command. FUNCTIONS
Functions are bound to a key or key combination to be invoked. The followings are functions available and their default key bindings. bind Meta-k, Ctrl-x Ctrl-b List up key bindings and substitutions. boh Move to the beginning of history. boh_ign_mode Esc-< Move to the beginning of history. If it is in search mode, continue. bol Home, Ctrl-a Move cursor to the beginning of the line. bs[(n)] BackSpace, Ctrl-h Backspace n times. default of n is 1. cancel Ctrl-x Ctrl-k Cancel the current input. del_back_line Delete the line from the beginning to the cursor. del_back_word Ctrl-w Delete the word from the beginning to the cursor. del_char [(n)] Delete, Ctrl-d Delete n characters from the cursor to the right. Default of n is 1. del_forw_line Ctrl-k Delete the line from the cursor to the end. del_forw_word Meta-d Delete the word from the cursor to the end. del_line Ctrl-u Delete the entire line. enter Enter, Ctrl-j, Ctrl-m Perform substitution if applicable and send the line to fvwm. enter_wo_subst Meta-Enter Send the line to fvwm without any substitution. eoh Move to the end of history. eoh_ign_mode Esc-> Move to the end of history. If it is in search mode, continue. eol End, Ctrl-e Move the cursor to the end of line. ins_char (str) Insert string at the cursor. ins_last_word Esc-. Insert the last argument of the previous command at the cursor. ins_nth_word Meta-[1..9] Insert the n-th argument of the previous command at the cursor. list_func Meta-l List up available editing functions. next_char Right, Ctrl-f Move the cursor to the next character. next_line Down, Ctrl-n Move to the next line in history. next_word Meta-f Move the cursor to the next word. prefix Wait for the next character typed in for multi-key binding. prev_char Left, Ctrl-b Move the cursor to the previous character. prev_line Up, Ctrl-p Move to the previous line in history. prev_word Meta-b Move the cursor to the previous word. quote Ctrl-q Insert the next character typed into the buffer literally. search Ctrl-s Search pattern in history. search_rev Ctrl-r Search pattern in history in reverse order. subst Meta-s Substitute all patterns to strings and reprint the line. The substitutions are not nested and performed in the order that they are defined. CONFIGURATION
The key binding can be overridden or defined in fvwm module configuration. *FvwmConsole: Key ck prev_line Non-space character sequence need not be quoted. In order to undefine, omit the last argument. *FvwmConsole: Key ck Note that non-meta character is case sensitive. c means control key, e means escape, and m is alt key. It also accepts Subst configuration. Users often input long fvwm command repeatedly. Subst will replace particular input sequence to user defined string. Example: *FvwmConsole: Subst '^bigx' 'Exec xterm -g 120x60+0+0 -fn 10x20 -fg black -bg lemonchiffon' Typing 'bigx<return>' in FvwmConsole will launch xterm. '^' denotes the beginning of line in regular expression. 'pl' in the middle of the command will not be replaced. Although the format looks different, it takes Perl regular expression. It just uses single or double quote as the delimiter. Single or double quotes have no difference, although they have to match, and cannot include itself in the string. *FvwmConsole: Subst '^gs*(d+)' 'Desk 0 0 GotoPage 0 $1 Focus' Entering 'g4' or 'g 4' will jump to desk 0 page 0 4 and focus. INVOCATION
FvwmConsoleC.pl should be invoked by FvwmConsole. SEE ALSO
FvwmConsole(1x), perlre(1) AUTHOR
Toshi Isogai 3rd Berkeley Distribution 09 May 2010 (2.5.30) FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)