Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to boot in single user mode Post 302131843 by ayzeayem on Tuesday 14th of August 2007 03:04:42 AM
Old 08-14-2007
Power Single user mode

Your Unix Version?..

Just to share i'm using unix 5.1b on My HP DS15 Alpha Server.
To boot single user mode:

Open a session as root, and shutdown the system with the following command:

# shutdown -h now

Boot now the system in single-user mode with the following firmware command:

>>> boot -fl s

====================

I'm not sure if it helps...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

5. AIX

Boot in Single-Mode

Hi All, I have AIX 5.1 & I forgot the root password. I find out the solution is to boot in single-mode and remove the root password from the /etc/passwd file. My question is how to boot in single-mode? Also is there any password required when booting in this mode? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Cannot boot in single-user mode

I have Sun 240 server with Solaris 8 installed. I go to OBP and try to boot in single-user mode but it is getting hung in the middle and the only way to get out of this situation is by going to the LOM and resetting the server. Here is what is happening: {0} ok boot -s SC Alert: Host System... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
18 Replies

9. Solaris

Boot on single user mode with net services

Hi everybody, I'm running soalris 10, and I would like to know if it posible to boot on single user mode(init s), and then set up (may be manually or not) all the networks services, did someone try this before?? Tks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jespada
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
reboot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] /usr/sbin/reboot [-f [-e environment]] [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] DESCRIPTION
The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. On x86 systems, when the -f flag is specified, the running kernel will load the next kernel into memory, then transfer control to the newly loaded kernel. This form of reboot is shown in the second synopsis, above. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On x86 systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -e If -f is present, reboot to the specified boot environment. -f Fast reboot, bypassing firmware and boot loader. The new kernel will be loaded into memory by the running kernel, and control will be transferred to the newly loaded kernel. If disk or kernel arguments are specified, they must be specified before other boot arguments. This option is currently available only on x86 systems. See EXAMPLES for details. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2 Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix Example 3 Fast Rebooting The following examples use the f option to perform fast reboots. The following command reboots to the same kernel. example# reboot -f The following command reboots to another UFS root disk. example# reboot -f -- '/dev/dsk/c1d0s0' The following command reboots to another ZFS root pool. example# reboot -f -- 'rpool/ROOT/root2' The following command reboots to mykernel on the same disk with -k option. example# reboot -f -- '/platform/i86pc/mykernel/amd64/unix -k' The following command reboots to mykernel off another root disk mounted on /mnt. example# reboot -f -- '/mnt/platform/i86pc/mykernel/amd64/unix -k' The following command reboots to /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix on another boot environment named second_root. example# reboot -f -e second_root The following command reboots to the same kernel with -kv options. example# reboot -f -- '-kv' FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. SunOS 5.11 29 Sep 2008 reboot(1M)