Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: system status report script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting system status report script Post 302113681 by moco on Monday 9th of April 2007 04:35:50 AM
Old 04-09-2007
Error need help about system status report script!!!

hi
i m new to this forum as well as UNIX. I've got an assignment but i don't know how can I start it.
can anyone please help to tell me how can I start it?
I added here few lines from my assignment.

In industry, it is common for a single organisation to provide technical support for a substantial number of UNIX systems distributed across a large geographical area and a number of different companies. This type of support has many complications, one problem is that the company offering support may not have current information on how the UNIX based computers are being used and how they are configured.

A common approach to this problem is for each UNIX machine to contain a shell script that when executed produces a report (a text file) on the current configuration and usage of the machine. This report can then be sent to the organisation responsible for technical support.

In this assignment you are required to write such a script, suitable for use on a Linux (Fedora 5) machine.

When the “system status report” script is invoked the user should be presented with a menu. This will provide a list of options allowing the user to decide what the report should contain. The resultant text file report can be e-mailed or faxed to the technical support team.

I can't understand how can I email or fax this report to technical suppot team and also how can I produce a text report?

please I need all of ur help and I m requesting all of u to help me.

Thank you all

Moco

Last edited by moco; 04-09-2007 at 06:13 AM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

System status query script

Hi, I am trying to access and read certain lines from a configuration XML file on multiple servers (within the LAN). Fortunately the file name and path is always the same for all servers. An example extract of the file is as follows: <DUMMY-SMSC>false</DUMMY-SMSC> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaz8212
2 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP OID for System Status LED's

I am trying to locate the proper MIB and OID location, to determine if the system attention light is on IBM-702x servers running 5.x. Currently, we get this on our Blade Centers Management Modules at location: 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.51.2.2.8.2.1.1.7.xx were xx is the actual Blade number. A value of 1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stamfdf
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide status value from awk system command

Hi, When i use the system( ) function inside a awk, i am getting the ouput with a 0 appended in a new line. Can someone guide me to eliminate the extra line containing 0. Ex : awk -F"|" '{print system("convert.sh" $1}' The output is displayed with 0 in a new line. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muruganksk
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file system status mail notifications

HI I want to get an e-mail @ my yahoo address when the file system used space gets more than 89% , & the message contents must be the outputs of df -g errpt netstat -i ??????? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majd_ece
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Listing Live System Status

1. Edit a script named update.sh that generates status.html in your web directory: ~/public_html/. I need to write specific commands to show each specific item 2. The generated webpage should include information related to: UNIX : kernel version of ed-lab server USER : number of users on the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: devinj
13 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Status of Badging System - Beta 1

Dear All, Here is the current status of the badging system: The Beta 1 phase of the new badging system is close to completion. 42 prototype badges have been "allocated" 6 prototype badge slots are held in reserve The "alert you have new badges" prototype is running and is currently... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies
apport-cli(1)						      General Commands Manual						     apport-cli(1)

NAME
apport-cli - Command line client for reporting problems SYNOPSIS
apport-cli apport-cli -c report apport-cli -f -p package apport-cli -f -P pid DESCRIPTION
apport automatically collects data from crashed processes and compiles a problem report in /var/crash/. This is a command line frontend for reporting those crashes to the developers. It can also be used to report bugs about packages or running processes. For desktop systems with a graphical user interface, you should consider installing the GTK or Qt user interface (apport-gtk or apport-qt). apport-cli is mainly intended to be used on servers. When called without any options, it processes the pending crash reports and offers to report them one by one. You can also display the entire report to see what is sent to the software developers. OPTIONS
-c report, --crash-file=report Instead of walking over the new crash reports in /var/crash/, report a particular report in an arbitrary file location. This is useful for copying a crash report to a machine with internet connection and reporting it from there. -f, --file-bug Report a (non-crash) problem. Requires specifying --package or --pid. This will automatically attach information about your operat- ing sytem and the package version etc. to the bug report, so that the developers have some important context. -p package, --package=package When being used in --file-bug mode, specify the package to report the problem against. -P pid, --pid=pid When being used in --file-bug mode, specify the PID (process ID) of a running program to report the problem against. This can be determined with e. g. ps -ux. ENVIRONMENT
APPORT_IGNORE_OBSOLETE_PACKAGES Apport refuses to create bug reports if the package or any dependency is not current. If this environment variable is set, this check is waived. Experts who will thoroughly check the situation before filing a bug report can define this in their ~/.bashrc or temporarily when calling the apport frontend (-cli, -gtk, or -qt). AUTHOR
apport and the accompanying tools are developed by Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com>. Martin Pitt August 01, 2007 apport-cli(1)