Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Permission Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Permission Problem Post 302102555 by Tornado on Thursday 11th of January 2007 07:09:50 AM
Old 01-11-2007
According to that, Ivan should not be able to remove the file..
Code:
bash-2.05$ ls -al testdir
total 32
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys         182 Jan 11 23:03 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         181 Jan 11 23:02 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys           0 Jan 11 23:03 testfile
bash-2.05$ rm testfile
rm: testfile: override protection 644 (yes/no)? yes
rm: testfile not removed: Permission denied
bash-2.05$

Tornado

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission problem

I have a crontab job that runs a database backup and directs the output to a log. I ran the job, and the output log file was created with no problems, but now if I try and run the same job again, I keep getting a file exists error. The permissions are: -rw-rw-r-- I also tried changing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jodie
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Permission problem

I am having problems editing my options and profile etc. Whenever i do, i am getting a message that says I don't have any permissions. Can u tell me a solution. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyrak
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to delete file for permission problem

Hi, We are facing problem to delete some logfiles. Explaing with example for clear understanding : we have 2 accounts : prdpqrs (application account) & prodxyz (admin account - not root). Both of them are in same group called 'release' While prodxyz is trying to remove a file owned by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Permission Problem

I ran the sys-unconfig command and now I can't seem to change the permission on that folder evne though I'm the Superuser(Root admin). I need to fix this so the user 'tommy' can login and have his home directory working. How do I fix this??? http://www3.telus.net/superstar/error.jpg (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
6 Replies

5. Linux

dos2unix permission problem

Hi All, I want to use the command "dos2unix" to format the file line break from win to unix, but after changing the file permission has been change to 600. how can i keep the original permisson after formatting? Many thz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
2 Replies

6. Solaris

file permission problem

Hi Expert, Could you tell me what is the meaning of " + " as shown below: drwxr-xrwx+ /opt Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permission problem

Hello I have situation where with my user id (group x) I am able to view a file. However if su to another user (different group) I am not able to view. I get permission denied. The file has complete wide open permissions -rwxrwxrwx and I can also cd from root to the directory in which the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akumargolf2000
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission problem

How would i change permissions for a new directory so that i am the only one who has any access to any of the files created in it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with execute my file permission

Here is my script. 1 echo -n "Enter file name : " 2 read file 3 chmod 777 $file 4 && W="write = yes" || W="Write = no" 5 chmod 777 $file 6 && X="Execute = yes" || X="Execute = No" 7 chmod 777 $file 8 && R="Read = yes" || R="Read = No" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: qral_hdr
0 Replies

10. Slackware

K3b permission problem

When I set up to backup /home to a DVD I am incurring a problem with K3B ver. 2.0.2 saying I (root) has insufficient privileges to access /home/myuser/hp-check.log file. It also does this to the lost+found files for /home and /opt. I am root and the file/directory has read+write privs for root.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slak0
1 Replies
EXTRACT(3)								 1								EXTRACT(3)

extract - Import variables into the current symbol table from an array

SYNOPSIS
int extract NULL (array &$array, [int $flags = EXTR_OVERWRITE], [string $prefix]) DESCRIPTION
Import variables from an array into the current symbol table. Checks each key to see whether it has a valid variable name. It also checks for collisions with existing variables in the symbol table. PARAMETERS
o $array - An associative array. This function treats keys as variable names and values as variable values. For each key/value pair it will create a variable in the current symbol table, subject to $flags and $prefix parameters. You must use an associative array; a numerically indexed array will not produce results unless you use EXTR_PREFIX_ALL or EXTR_PREFIX_INVALID. o $flags - The way invalid/numeric keys and collisions are treated is determined by the extraction $flags. It can be one of the following values: o EXTR_OVERWRITE - If there is a collision, overwrite the existing variable. o EXTR_SKIP - If there is a collision, don't overwrite the existing variable. o EXTR_PREFIX_SAME -If there is a collision, prefix the variable name with $prefix. o EXTR_PREFIX_ALL - Prefix all variable names with $prefix. o EXTR_PREFIX_INVALID - Only prefix invalid/numeric variable names with $prefix. o EXTR_IF_EXISTS - Only overwrite the variable if it already exists in the current symbol table, otherwise do nothing. This is useful for defining a list of valid variables and then extracting only those variables you have defined out of $_REQUEST, for example. o EXTR_PREFIX_IF_EXISTS - Only create prefixed variable names if the non-prefixed version of the same variable exists in the current symbol table. o EXTR_REFS - Extracts variables as references. This effectively means that the values of the imported variables are still referencing the values of the $array parameter. You can use this flag on its own or combine it with any other flag by OR'ing the $flags. If $flags is not specified, it is assumed to be EXTR_OVERWRITE. o $prefix - Note that $prefix is only required if $flags is EXTR_PREFIX_SAME, EXTR_PREFIX_ALL, EXTR_PREFIX_INVALID or EXTR_PREFIX_IF_EXISTS. If the prefixed result is not a valid variable name, it is not imported into the symbol table. Prefixes are automatically sepa- rated from the array key by an underscore character. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of variables successfully imported into the symbol table. EXAMPLES
Example #1 extract(3) example A possible use for extract(3) is to import into the symbol table variables contained in an associative array returned by wddx_dese- rialize(3). <?php /* Suppose that $var_array is an array returned from wddx_deserialize */ $size = "large"; $var_array = array("color" => "blue", "size" => "medium", "shape" => "sphere"); extract($var_array, EXTR_PREFIX_SAME, "wddx"); echo "$color, $size, $shape, $wddx_size "; ?> The above example will output: blue, large, sphere, medium The $size wasn't overwritten because we specified EXTR_PREFIX_SAME, which resulted in $wddx_size being created. If EXTR_SKIP was specified, then $wddx_size wouldn't even have been created. EXTR_OVERWRITE would have caused $size to have value "medium", and EXTR_PREFIX_ALL would result in new variables being named $wddx_color, $wddx_size, and $wddx_shape. NOTES
Warning Do not use extract(3) on untrusted data, like user input (i.e. $_GET, $_FILES, etc.). If you do, for example if you want to run old code that relies on register_globals temporarily, make sure you use one of the non-overwriting $flags values such as EXTR_SKIP and be aware that you should extract in the same order that's defined in variables_order within the php.ini. Note If you have register_globals turned on and you use extract(3) on $_FILES and specify EXTR_SKIP, you may be surprised at the results. Warning This is not recommended practice and is only documented here for completeness. The use of register_globals is deprecated and calling extract(3) on untrusted data such as $_FILES is, as noted above, a potential security risk. If you encounter this issue, it means that you are using at least two poor coding practices. <?php /* Suppose that $testfile is the name of a file upload input and that register_globals is turned on. */ var_dump($testfile); extract($_FILES, EXTR_SKIP); var_dump($testfile); var_dump($testfile['tmp_name']); ?> You might expect to see something like the following: string(14) "/tmp/phpgCCPX8" array(5) { ["name"]=> string(10) "somefile.txt" ["type"]=> string(24) "application/octet-stream" ["tmp_name"]=> string(14) "/tmp/phpgCCPX8" ["error"]=> int(0) ["size"]=> int(4208) } string(14) "/tmp/phpgCCPX8" However, you would instead see something like this: string(14) "/tmp/phpgCCPX8" string(14) "/tmp/phpgCCPX8" string(1) "/" This is due to the fact that since register_globals is turned on, $testfile already exists in the global scope when extract(3) is called. And since EXTR_SKIP is specified, $testfile is not overwritten with the contents of the $_FILES array so $testfile remains a string. Because strings may be accessed using array syntax and the non-numeric string tmp_name is interpreted as 0, PHP sees $test- file['tmp_name'] as $testfile[0]. SEE ALSO
compact(3), list(3). PHP Documentation Group EXTRACT(3)