Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change to ksh shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change to ksh shell Post 302082870 by System Shock on Thursday 3rd of August 2006 12:16:30 PM
Old 08-03-2006
You change your login shell in /etc/passwd, not profile.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh parameter --- change

I am reading a file into a parameter in my program typeset nums_type if the contents of nums_type = asdfghbqwerty how do make a new paremeter eqaul to the 7th character of nums_type. like ${type} = b (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frank
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change the permissions of ksh?

Suppose, I want to execute unix commands. For that I have to go to ksh, but if I don't have execute permission to ksh itself then is there any way to change the permission of ksh? chmod command does not work for this because, I don't have permission to ksh itself... :) Let me know, if you have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponnuvel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change the default shell from bash to ksh

Currently my default shell is bash.How can i change itto ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to change passwd

Hello All, I am trying to change a user passwd (one time password): cat /tmp/passwd mnop1234 mnop1234 #passwd abcd < /tmp/passwd (for some reason, it is not able to input the password from /tmp/passwd and comes back with "New Password: ") Is there a work around except using "expect". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh behavior change on RHEL5

I recently patched a RHEL5 host from 5.2 to 5.5. There are some scripts that simply do a ps and grep to check for itself before proceeding. I personally don't like the way the scripts are written and would have done it differently. Before I can proceed with patching the production servers, I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwhitehd
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change values in Log4j.xml using ksh script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and shell scripting. I have to create a shell script(ksh) which parses log4j.xml file for a given webservice name and change the corresponding value from INFO to DEBUG or vice-versa. My log4j.xml looks like:- <!-- Appender WEBSERVICENAME--> <appender... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjeevcseng
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change output format using ksh

I have a script that reaches out to several systems and pulls back infomation in serveral files. I would like to take the infomation returned and reformat it so I can export it to excel. Below is current output: File1:item1:abc=1 File1:item2:efg File2:item1:ab=1 File2:item2:efg... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldman2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with KSH Shell Script

From a shell script I'm trying to remove the first two files of whats returned from the head -2 command so I tried piping it to xargs rm -f but I can't get it to work. How do I remove the files from the head command? ls -al *clit* *servr* |sort -t_ -nk2 | head -2 |xargs rm -f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ".." to change directories in a ksh script

I have an issue driving me bonkers. I have a ksh script that requires changing directories. If a argument "TEST" is passed in, this is a regression test execution of the script (as opposed to production execution). I have a directory entitled "TEST" that is located three directory locations ABOVE... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe cipale
14 Replies
rsh(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rsh(1M)

NAME
rsh, restricted_shell - restricted shell command interpreter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/rsh [-acefhiknprstuvx] [argument]... DESCRIPTION
rsh is a limiting version of the standard command interpreter sh, used to restrict logins to execution environments whose capabilities are more controlled than those of sh (see sh(1) for complete description and usage). When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for the value of the environmental variable, SHELL. If it is found and rsh is the file name part of its value, the shell becomes a restricted shell. The actions of rsh are identical to those of sh, except that the following are disallowed: o changing directory (see cd(1)), o setting the value of $PATH, o pecifying path or command names containing /, o redirecting output (> and >>). The restrictions above are enforced after .profile is interpreted. A restricted shell can be invoked in one of the following ways: 1. rsh is the file name part of the last entry in the /etc/passwd file (see passwd(4)); 2. the environment variable SHELL exists and rsh is the file name part of its value; the environment variable SHELL needs to be set in the .login file; 3. the shell is invoked and rsh is the file name part of argument 0; 4. the shell is invoke with the -r option. When a command to be executed is found to be a shell procedure, rsh invokes sh to execute it. Thus, it is possible to provide to the end- user shell procedures that have access to the full power of the standard shell, while imposing a limited menu of commands; this scheme assumes that the end-user does not have write and execute permissions in the same directory. The net effect of these rules is that the writer of the .profile (see profile(4)) has complete control over user actions by performing guaranteed setup actions and leaving the user in an appropriate directory (probably not the login directory). The system administrator often sets up a directory of commands (that is, /usr/rbin) that can be safely invoked by a restricted shell. Some systems also provide a restricted editor, red. EXIT STATUS
Errors detected by the shell, such as syntax errors, cause the shell to return a non-zero exit status. If the shell is being used non- interactively execution of the shell file is abandoned. Otherwise, the shell returns the exit status of the last command executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), cd(1), login(1), rsh(1), sh(1), exec(2), passwd(4), profile(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The restricted shell, /usr/lib/rsh, should not be confused with the remote shell, /usr/bin/rsh, which is documented in rsh(1). SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 1993 rsh(1M)