Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to delete all email messages at ONE time? Post 302079874 by bobo on Thursday 13th of July 2006 10:48:04 AM
Old 07-13-2006
Data How to delete all email messages at ONE time?

These are some of the mail command:

Usage:
? print this help message
# display message number #
- print previous
+ next (no delete)
! cmd execute cmd
<CR> next (no delete)
a position at and read newly arrived mail
d [#] delete message # (default current message)
dp delete current message and print the next
dq delete current message and exit
h a display all headers
h d display headers of letters scheduled for deletion
h [#] display headers around # (default current message)
m user mail (and delete) current message to user
n next (no delete)
p print (override any warnings of binary content)
P override default 'brief' mode and display ALL header lines
q, ^D quit
r [args] reply to (and delete) current letter via mail [args]
s [files] save (and delete) current message (default mbox)
u [#] undelete message # (default current message)
w [files] save (and delete) current message without header
x exit without changing mail
y [files] save (and delete) current message (default mbox)

Is there 1 command to delete all your email?

THANKS!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do we delete spam email on mmdf

Please advise on how to delete spam email from mmdf email, and The Unix spec below: System = SCO_SV Release = 3.2v5.0.5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete All email

If I have thousands of email to delete on the mail server POP3, is there a quick way to delete it all in one command instead of going into pine and deleting them one at a time?:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foothillnet
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to delete email addresses

I need to delete old email addresses and can't them them out of my address I have a dell and am served by MSN? (Email address removed... Neo) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deede
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete old email addresses?

Help! Need to delete old email addresses from address book on Dell Windows 98............. -------- The subject line was one long string - I inserted spaces - oombera (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Deede
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron to delete email help needed

I would like to know if I can place a cron job (and what it might be of course) to delete all the mail in an inbox? Here are the servers specs: Operating systemLinuxService StatusClick to ViewKernel version2.6.28.9Machine Typei686Apache version2.2.11 (Unix)PERL version5.8.8Path to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markmatu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp, archive, email and delete from shell script

Hello, I found the forum’s information very helpful and informative. I am relatively new to UNIX programming. I am researching how to write a UNIX shell script to ftp all files from specific host folder to a client server. Also need to archive all transferred files, send a message (email) if any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lenora2009
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Delete email recd

Hello All, For many users, .forward file has been created to forward the emails from UNIX (SUN 5.8) to Exhcnage server. Is there any way to delete the email as soon as it comes to the mailbox on UNIX (without the same being forwarded to the Exchange Server)? Thanks! suismilyadon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suismilyadon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sent output to email and empty folder at same time

Hi all, i want to sent output to email and folder at same time. This is my code : echo "Hello" | mailx -s "${SUBJECT}" "${email_add}" >> ${file} I only can sent output to my email but cannot sent to my empty folder....can i know how to done it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proghack
1 Replies

9. Debian

sendmail taking too much time to send a email

Hi , I'm using sendmail command to send a email. To send a email sendmail taking 3minutes to complete the process. Is there any configuration needs to be done in server or another solution is there to resolve this issue. Thanks in Advance. Regards Latika (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: latika
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

MAILX too much time to send email

Hello, I am using heirloom-mailx on UBUNTU 11.04 to create a bash script that sends an e-mail with an attachment. The command invoked is : echo $BODY | mailx -v \ -S smtp=smtps://$smtpmailserver:465 \ -S from=$MITTENTE \ -S ssl-verify=ignore \ -S smtp-auth=login \ -S smtp-auth-user=$USER \... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: occhiverdi1987
8 Replies
mh(1mh) 																   mh(1mh)

Name
       mh - introduction to MH

Description
       MH  is  the  name  of a powerful message handling system.  Rather than being a single comprehensive program, MH consists of a collection of
       fairly simple single-purpose programs to send, receive, save, and retrieve messages.  Refer  to	the  individual  MH  reference	pages  for
       descriptions of the programs that make up MH.

Unlike  MH  is  not  a  closed system which must be explicitly run, and then exited when you wish to return to the shell.  Instead, you may
       freely intersperse MH commands with other shell commands.  This allows you to read and answer your mail while you have (for example) a com-
       pilation running, or are searching for a file or running programs to find an answer to someone's question before replying to them.

To get started using MH, add the directory to your $PATH.  This is best done in one of the files or in your home directory.  Check the man-
       ual entry for the shell you use if you do not know how to do this.  Run the command.  If you have never used MH before, it creates the nec-
       essary  default files and directories after asking you if you wish it to do so.	The command moves mail from your system maildrop into your
       MH folder.  Each message is converted to MH format, and stored as separate files in your folder until you have read it.	When you have read
       a message, you can refile it in another folder that you have created.

Folders are directories in which messages are stored: the folders themselves are stored in your Mail directory.	See and for more details.

For  each  message it processes, prints a one-line display.  The one-line display contains the From: field, the Subject: field, and as much
       of the first line of the message as it can accommodate.	The first message that processes becomes your current message.	 All  MH  commands
       operate on the current message unless you have specified the msg argument.

You need to run each time you wish to incorporate new mail into your folder.

The command prints a list of the messages in your current folder.

The commands and are used to read specific messages from the current folder.  Of these, displays the current message.  You can also display
       a specific message by specifying its number.  In the following example, the mail system displays the contents of message number 10  in  the
       current folder:
       % show 10

The  commands and display the message numerically following and numerically preceding the current message, respectively.  In all cases, the
       message displayed becomes the current message.  If there is no current message, may be called with an argument, or may be used  to  advance
       to the first message.  The command (remove message) deletes the current message.

You  can  delete  messages other than the current message by specifying the message number or numbers.  When you specify more than one mes-
       sage, you separate each message number by a space.  In the following example, messages 2, 4 and 6 in the current folder are deleted:
       % rmm 2 4 6

The command is used to reply to a message.  It places you in the editor with a prototype response form.	While you are in the  editor,  you
       may view the item you are responding to by reading the file

The command allows you to compose a message by putting you in the editor on a blank message header form, and then lets you send it.

All  the  MH  commands may be run with the single argument -help, which causes them to print a list of the arguments with which they may be
       invoked.

Commands which take a message number as an argument (for example) also take one of the following keywords:

first	 The first message in the current folder.

last	 The last message in the current folder.

cur	 The current message in the current folder.

prev	 The previous message in the current folder.

next	 The next message in the current folder.

Commands which take a range of message numbers, such as or also take any of the following abbreviations:

num1-num2 Indicates all messages in the range num1 to num2, inclusive.  The specified range must contain at least one message.

num:+n
       num:-n	 Up to n messages beginning with (or ending with) message num.	The value of num may be any of the MH message keywords: or

first:n
       prev:n
       next:n
       last:n	 The first, previous, next or last n messages, if they exist.

There are many other possibilities, such as creating multiple folders for different topics, and automatically refiling  messages  according
       to subject, source, destination, or content.  See the individual reference pages for more details of the rest of the MH commands.

Following is a list of all the MH commands:

alex(1mh)	 extract addresses from message headers
       ali(1mh) 	 list mail aliases
       anno(1mh)	 annotate messages
       burst(1mh)	 explode digests into messages
       comp(1mh)	 compose a message
       dist(1mh)	 redistribute a message to additional addresses
       folder(1mh)	 set/list current folder/message
       folders(1mh)	 list all folders
       forw(1mh)	 forward messages
       inc(1mh) 	 incorporate new mail
       mark(1mh)	 mark messages