Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tape drive install
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tape drive install Post 15763 by kikkin on Tuesday 19th of February 2002 09:47:21 AM
Old 02-19-2002
Well I finally got fed up with it and desided to go back to the frist step. I opend the server and verified all the phisical connections.
I found out that the tape drive was actually connected to the host 0 and bus 1 and the jumper on the tape drive was set to id1.
and I was setting it up at mkdev tape as on host 0 bus 0 id 1.
Well after actually installing it to the propper settings it still didnt work, till I noticed at boot that the server was recognising the tape drive at id 2. That was odd because I verified the jumper and it was on id 1. so to make a long story short I just set the parameter hots 0 moved the cable to bus 0 and set the tape id to 2 and it worked.

Thanks for the advice, I gues I learn more the hard way.
kikkin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How do l install Travan Tape drive 20/40 DAT on Redhat 8.0

Hi, Will someone help in giving the clue to installating Travan Tape drive on Redhat 8.0 Kayode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

3. Solaris

how to install tape drive on sun ver 5.9

hi, need your help mentors I have external SCSI tape DRIVE COmpaq 15/30 GB DLT and I dont know how to install these and how to view if it is working. I'm also have another disk taken form my old sun and I want to use these also but my problem how I able to mount. hope anyone can help me ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
9 Replies

4. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Help with tape drive

Hey folks, Linux admin here, forced to use Opensolaris to try to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to get some data of some old tapes. I've got Opensolaris 2009.06 on x86 and a Sony SDX-700V. As a "control" experiment, I booted the system with a Linux live CD and the tape drive worked perfectly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddy_sysad
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Install ext DLT Sun Tape drive on V445 Solaris 10

I have a SunFire V445 running Solaris 10 and am adding a Sun DLT tape drive. From the OK prompt the probe-scsi-all does see the drive and it is the proper target of 4. When I do the boot -- -r it does build the /dev/rmt directories correctly and the links to /devices appear correct as well. When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chastings
8 Replies
AMTAPE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMTAPE(8)

NAME
amtape - user interface to Amanda tape changer controls SYNOPSIS
amtape config command [ command options ] DESCRIPTION
Amtape performs tape changer control operations. It uses the underlying tape changer script defined by the tpchanger option for a particu- lar Amanda configuration as specified by the config argument. Tape changers maintain a notion of the current and next slot for each configuration. These may or may not correspond to an actual physical state of the device, but do tend to minimize searching through the tape storage slots. If the desired tape is in the current slot, it is likely the next tape needed is in the next slot rather than at some random position in the storage slots. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. COMMANDS
reset Reset the tape changer to a known state. The current slot is set to the first slot. Other device-specific side effects may occur. Some gravity stackers need to be reset to the top position by hand. This command notifies Amanda the stacker is back in that posi- tion. eject If a tape is loaded in the drive, it is ejected and returned to the slot from which it was loaded. clean If a cleaning tape is defined for the changer, it is used to clean the drive. show Show the contents of all slots. This can be slow. label label Search for and load the Amanda tape with label label. taper Perform the taper scan algorithm. Load the next tape in the configuration's tape sequence, or a fresh tape with a suitable label. device Display the name of the current tape device on stdout. current Display the current slot. update Update the changer label database, if it has one, to match the tapes now available. slot slot Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from slot slot and reset current. slot current Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the current slot. slot prev Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the previous slot and reset current. slot next Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the next slot and reset current. slot first Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the first slot and reset current. slot last Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the last slot and reset current. slot advance Eject any tape in the drive and put it away. Advance current to the next tape, but do not load it. This is useful with non-gravity stackers to unload the last tape used and set up Amanda for the next run. If you just use eject, the current tape will be mounted again in the next run, where it will be rejected as being still in use, ejected and the next tape requested. Using slot next followed by eject does an unnecessary mount. Note: most changers optimize the slot commands to not eject the loaded tape if it is the one being requested. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMTAPE(8)