consumption memory

Operating Systems AIX consumption memory
# 8  
Old 05-09-2008
Hi,
yeah seems pretty similar to what we are always getting from engineering ... so after having tuned a couple of 100 lpars - most of them DB boxes - I would go for following values I think ...

vmo -p -o minperm%=5
vmo -p -o maxperm%=90
vmo -p -o maxclient%=90
vmo -p -o maxperm%=80
vmo -p -o minfree=960
vmo -p -o maxfree=1088
vmo -p -o lru_file_repage=0
vmo -p -o lru_poll_interval=10

ioo -p -o j2_nBufferPerPagerDevice=1024 (if not sufficient you can go upwards 256-wise - but carefully)
ioo -p -o hd_pbuf_cnt=1024 - you can go upwards 256-wise
ioo -p -o numfsbufs=1536 (can be raised up to 2048 if needed)
ioo -p -o pv_min_pbuf=1024 (you can play here up to 1536 but carefully)

ioo -p -o j2_maxRandomWrite=32 - needs monitoring but you can go up to 128 in particular cases
ioo -p -o maxrandwrt=32

ioo -p -o j2_maxPageReadAhead=128
ioo -p -o maxpgahead=16

no -p -o tcp_sendspace=262144
no -p -o tcp_recvspace=262144
no -p -o udp_sendspace=65536
no -p -o udp_recvspace=655360

if you are running cio you can even amend
ioo -p -o lvm_bufcnt=16

But please be aware - all these values are 'best practices' but every system is different, every workload, every query. What can be really great on one system can cause a huge performance impact on another one ... so keep on monitoring.

What you have to avoid are the real problems :

fi fo pi po fr sr in sy cs us sy id wa
41 196 8 0 0 0 1110 29968 10573 17 10 70 3
75 213 11 0 0 0 1043 32556 13921 16 14 62 7
22 74 85 0 0 0 740 57171 6965 21 5 68 6
60 151 99 0 0 0 434 46722 7054 31 11 47 11
96 230 88 0 0 0 1351 32595 11736 19 10 63 8

that means your box is paging out computational pages - so you should fix this at the earliest
vmo -p -o lru_file_repage=0

72.5 numperm percentage
vmo -p -o minperm%=5
vmo -p -o maxperm%=90
vmo -p -o maxclient%=90
vmo -p -o maxperm%=80

4018 pending disk I/Os blocked with no pbuf
48890 paging space I/Os blocked with no psbuf
2740 filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf
110 client filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf
89345 external pager filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf

with
ioo -p -o j2_nBufferPerPagerDevice=1024
ioo -p -o hd_pbuf_cnt=1024
ioo -p -o numfsbufs=1536
ioo -p -o pv_min_pbuf=1024

and afterwards you might even see a few memory pools instead of
0 memory pools

and the rest of the suggested values should at least be beneficial for performance ... and please dont make the mistake to think if a box is running cio there is no filecaching needed. There is ... depending on the amount of processes connecting on the database from any given application this can be immense. And do yourself a favour - put redo-logs into a separate filesystem with (smaller) blocksize of 512 ...

Rgds
zx
# 9  
Old 05-13-2008
Thanks a lot zxmaus for your help and your advices.
I send these parameters to our consultant.
# 10  
Old 10-11-2008
Flush RAM in AIX

Hi

As we all know that AIX utilizes entire RAM and shows 100% Utilization of Memory.
Can anybody tell me the parameter in AIX which forces memory flushing???
And what are the pros and cons of using that??
I will be very thankful to you.

RegardsSmilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Memory consumption history

I want to obtain memory consumption history on a HPUX machine. I know I can access data from the last week with sar sar -f /var/adm/sa/sa14 I do not know how to get memory usage with sar. Are there any other ways? thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Find out most memory consumption process in HP UX

Dear All, I want to find out top 15 memory consumption processes in HP UX. Can anyone give me any idea about it? Kauser (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

memory consumption over a time period

Hi, Can some one please tell me how do I generate a report of the Memory Consumption over a time period: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 0440531406 unlimited-user license I normally use glance to monitor memory in run time. Note: I do not have root privileges. Thanks Danish ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find memory consumption by application

Hello, we are using AIX 6.1 On our AIX 6.1 server there are two instance of Oracle, a Websphear, a Java application and informatica are running. Can I find out how much memory each of these are consuming? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIX_DBA
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Regarding Memory Consumption

Hi All I am new to UNIX ,can any one please help in finding MEMORY CONSUMPTION of VLC when i use it as Streaming Server. I need to log the memory consumption for atleast 10 hours. Can any one help me in finding this Please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravikanth17
1 Replies

6. AIX

Memory consumption issue in AIX box

Hi, monitor memory usage on AIX machine on any day of the week from 3:00 PM ET to 5:00 PM ET - Povide min and max memory consumption. Determine if all of the available memory is visible to the operating system. If it is not, determine the amount of memory which may be allocated to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rookie_newbie
3 Replies

7. Programming

Current and Peak Memory consumption of my program?

Hi, my C++ program does some memory consuming tasks and runs several minutes. During execution time, I want to print information on the current memory consumption and peak memory consumption of my program into a logfile. How can I retrieve this information, i.e. which functions are available... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarthVader77
0 Replies

8. Solaris

real memory consumption of a process

hi pmap, prstat and ps gives the RSS which is shared memory. I need to know the consumption of real memory. how to do that? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Memory Consumption Commands

I want to check the memory usuage on the HP-UX box. print_manifest : gave me the information of the system configuration and came to know that we have 8GB of ram. But on runtime I want to know what is the memory left. Iam new to HP-UX and I would appreciate if some one can assist me on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siebeladmin
2 Replies

10. AIX

Memory consumption of threads

Hi, how can I find out how many memory (physical and virtual) a thread uses at the moment? I know how to find out the Thread-ID, but not how to monitor it... We use AIX 4.3.3 at th emoment. Please help, I am stuck :confused: !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fong
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question