Perl installation in user directory

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl installation in user directory
# 1  
Old 02-25-2010
Perl installation in user directory

Hi,
The version of perl at my work is very old and It doesn't have advanced perl modules. I need to install DBI and DBD::Sybase modules but I dont have the root access.

So I have installed DBI module in my home directory.
And trying to install DBD::Sybase, with the followint command:
perl Makefile.PL `cat /home/user/perl_dirs` where perl_dirs file is having the entries as

PREFIX=/home/user \
INSTALLPRIVLIB=/home/user/lib/perl5 \
INSTALLSCRIPT=/home/user/bin \
INSTALLSITELIB=/home/user/lib/perl5/site_perl \
INSTALLBIN=/home/user/bin \
INSTALLMAN1DIR=/home/user/lib/perl5/man \
INSTALLMAN3DIR=/home/user/lib/perl5/man3

It throws the error "Can't locate DBI.pm".
Is there anything I am missing?
# 2  
Old 02-25-2010
DBI::Sybase may have the DBI.pm as its dependency.So you first install DBI.pm.Then try to install DBI::Sybase.
# 3  
Old 02-25-2010
Hi Karthigayan,
Thanks for your reply.

I have already installed DBI module in my home directory. Problem is the DBD::Sybase is unable to locate DBI module, because it was installed in my home directory.

I think it looks in @INC which doesn't have the location of DBI.pm

I have checked the values of PERL5LIB and PERLLIB, they are not set.

Where else is the perl taking the @INC value from?
# 4  
Old 02-25-2010
MySQL Try this

Assign the path of DBI.pm in the PERL5LIB and export in in your .bashrc.Then the DBI.pm will add to the @INC.

Code:
export PERL5LIB="/home/username/perlmodules/"

Thanks.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the Apache Installation directory in Linux

Hi All, I have installed apache using yum on centos. I know that the default installation directory is /var/www/html. Now I want to change the installation directory to /mnt/ebs. How can I do this ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Modules installation in one go.

Hi, I have a task to install a list of perl modules in several servers. It's very tedious task to install it one by one through CPAN. Can I have option in CPAN to feed that list so that it install all the modules. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies

4. AIX

Java7 installation for user in AIX6.1

Hello Team, We are trying to install Java7 for weblogic user in a particular location(not default /usr location). I have tried following method but no luck, Need your suggestion on this. Issue details : 1) smitty installp >> When trying this there is no option to relocate the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Installation problem

Hi all, I have a problem while installing perl 5.12. I have uninstalled the perl version 5.8 and installed 5.12. And when I tried to execute a perl script, it says that perl58.dll is missing. can some one please tell me how to completely remove previous version(5.8) of perl which I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anusha.banthu
2 Replies

6. AIX

installation directory

hi all. I am new to unix/linux forums. help me in the following issue. how can i find all installed files(with full path) of a package with lslpp command on IBM AIX. on other platforms linux - rpm -ql package_name solaris - pkgchk -l package_name hpux - swlist -l file package_name ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Installation directory structure for downloaded program

OS X 10.3.9 I downloaded RealPlayer into my ~/download folder, clicked install and everything works just fine. My question has to do with just my trying to understand where OS X keeps the files. So, I opened terminal and said: find / -name RealPlayer 2>/dev/null To my utter... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Module installation

Hi All, I am failry new to Perl.I am trying to install a Perl module (Filesys::df.pm) in an IBM AIX5.3 server.But I could not succeed in that.I am getting the following error: abcd3dev# make cc_r -c -D_ALL_SOURCE -D_ANSI_C_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -qmaxmem=16384 -qnoansialias... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjithss
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl installation?

Ok im new to Linux. I run Slackware 9 - I have apache up and running fine, I am a PHP programmer but wish to learn Perl. I've been told I need to edit a configuration file -- /etc/apache/httpd.conf ? Anyway, I've never done this before and I don't know what to edit. So I would be real grateful... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo0ness
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question