Formatting the output to a specific design

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Formatting the output to a specific design
# 1  
Old 02-15-2010
Formatting the output to a specific design

Hi,

I require some help on the following,

I have a file which looks like this

Code:
123452    /root/Desktop    file1    system1 system2.. systemN  user1 lab1

I need to display the output like this,
Code:
123452    /root/Desktop    file1    system1    user1    lab1
                                             system2 
                                             system3
                                             systemN

With all the system names appearing in one column.

The approach that I took was to use awk and the internal awk variable 'NF'
to get the system names individually.

But the difficult part was with the formatting to get the desired output.

Is there a simpler way to do this?

Thanks,
KG

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-15-2010 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!
# 2  
Old 02-15-2010
Code:
awk ' {
         print $1,$2,$3,$4, $NF-1, $NF
        for(i=5; i< NF-1; i++) {print "\t\t\t\t", $i} 
        }' infile > newfile

add more tab characters ( \t ) or spaces to the "\t\t\t\t" string to get things lined up.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output formatting

Hi , can anyone help me in this Input file Name= XYZ Company= ALPHA City= Stockhomn Equipment=computer Country=Sweden Name=MNC Company=Beta City=Kaulampur Equipment=computer Country=Malaysia Name=JVC Company=gamma City=Kiruna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swets
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the Output

Hi, I am trying to use printf command and format certain output in a specific format as under: While the left side (upto |) of the above format is part of a fixed header function, the right side is where i am expecting data to be printed. However, as seen, Row1 value is reflecting on last... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
5 Replies

3. AIX

Help Formatting Output

I am using FORTRAN 90 on AIX 5.3 and need to output my data to a tab-delimited file. It must have actual tabs, and I cannot figure out a way to make it work. The resulting file will be imported into another application (quickbooks) as an .iif file....for some reason, it needs the tabs; spaces do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with output formatting

Hey can anyone help me with newline formatting? i bet someone will ask why im rewriting du code, im trying to write a simple script that have slightly different function than du lol.... echo $(du "$dval" | tr ' ' '\n') atm with above code it will printout i've tried sed and awk... cant... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output formatting .

below is a CPU utilization Log for ABC server. However for every 15 minutes it generates 3 CPU values(with interval of 2 sec). Host CPU CPUtotal CPU% time ABC 101.1 2 50.55 14 : 15 ABC 100.5 2 50.25 14 : 15 ABC 100.2 2 50.1 14 : 15 ABC 100.9 2 50.45 14 : 30 ABC 100.5 2 50.25 14 : 30 ABC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting my output

Dear All, I am new to unix scripting. I need your help to format my output on screen. echo " --------------------------------------------" echo " | My Output |" echo " --------------------------------------------" echo " | A: $A... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahiljavaid
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting output

Hi need some advice.. #grep -i hostname test.csv (gives the below output) HOSTNAME,name,host_test,,,,,,,, Now I need to format the above output as below. HOSTNAME: name=host_test Any easy way of doing this using awk or sed or printf? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, I ahve written a shell script which would extract me data, but my problem is I want to add a column name to my output. Using grep and sed I am getting my data from the input file. Sample data name : eric name : tom name : sean My output using grep and sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: illur81
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the output

Hi all, Have the following code(1) producing the results(2 & 3). Would like to know if there is a way to format the two reports created in a similar fashion. IE - The first is formatted nicely as a result of the echo "$xmpbdate $xavgs" >> $xmpbrpt However when I attempt to do the same on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question