syslog rotation problem

Operating Systems AIX syslog rotation problem
# 1  
Old 10-29-2012
syslog rotation problem

i have added below two lines in syslog.conf file. Is there anything wrong in the below lines?
Code:

*.info                  /var/adm/syslog rotate time 1d files 10
local0.debug            /var/adm/conserv.log rotate time 1d files 10

Though I have restarted syslogd with the below commands, log rotation is not happening. Could anyone help me in this regard..
Code:
/usr/bin/stopsrc -s syslogd
/usr/bin/startsrc -s syslogd

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by vbe; 10-30-2012 at 11:26 AM..
# 2  
Old 10-30-2012
Order? Help - AIX 6.1 Information Center

The aix man page says [rotate [size sizek|m] [files files] [time timeh|d|w|m|y] [compress] [archive archive]]

I would stick to their argument order in case the parser is weak.

Yes, you always have to tap the server on the sholder with a kill signal or restart it to get a new config into operation.

Last edited by DGPickett; 11-02-2012 at 02:16 PM..
# 3  
Old 11-02-2012
IBM I'm unable to figure what mistake I did

Hi,

I'm unabel to figure our what is the mistake in the file or does it require any other action after amking the changes in syslog.conf.
# 4  
Old 11-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarn
or does it require any other action after amking the changes in syslog.conf.
The "default action" after making such a change is to restart syslogd because otherwise it wouldn't become aware of the changes to its configuration. But you sure knew that already, didn't you?

I hope this helps.

bakunin
# 5  
Old 11-02-2012
Syslog on Solaris is quite picky about using TABs and NOT blanks to delimit columns in syslog.conf. Maybe the same is true for AIX?
# 6  
Old 11-02-2012
Pass the conf file through "cat -vte" to see hidden white space.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time rotation

Hi, I'm trying to figure out Rsync Timings from my logs of the script. For this I have enabled a wrapper script to log start time and end time of the script so that I can catch the Rsync lapsed time. Below are the code lines I'm trying to use for Rsync time . INPUT is |Running the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Log rotation

Hi All! I seem to have a problem with log rotation, unless I am doing something wrong, I have type the following command for testing purposes to see if the -s option works but he did not: logadm -w /var/adm/messages -C 8 -c -s 512k -t '/var/adm/messages.$n' -z 1 the file is now at this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log Rotation

Hi Guys, Good morning, I just want to know and collect ideas on this one. Regarding rotation of logs as I've observed it's not consistently functioning. I have a server with 8 Partitions, each partition has a dedicated directory for the logs that is needed and I set it every 5mins (300secs) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

check ip rotation

Hi all, I configured ip rotation on exim mail server by modifying the /etc/exim.conf file. I want to check whether the ip address rotating or not. Can any body show me how can i find out is it rotating or not. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Log rotation, twice

hi folk, need advise regarding the log rotation, i have the logadm set at 30 2 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm so it supposed to rotate once per day, but now it rotated twice! but someone my log will rotate at 2:30 AM, but then another 2 hours later, it creates a new and rotate a new log again,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Mod_Jk Log rotation

Hi , I have cronolog (http://cronolog.org/) setup to rotate both my error and access logs, but how can I use it to rotate my mod_jk.log file. I tried different things but cant get it to work. I want to end up where all three files will be rotated daily in YYYY/MM/DD folder format. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2learn09
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rotation and autosys

Hi, I current have many apps servers running and need to create a script to rotate logs daily, and then create an autosys job to delete logs that are older than 30 days. I was thrown into this and have no idea what to do, please help me get started, thanks! -----Post Update----- and i will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2learn09
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rotation

Hello all. Due to some reason I can not use HUP to rotate needed log files. So I use the standard method: cp $file $file.1 cat /dev/null > $file But if Java application in this time writing the output to $file, in the beginning of it appears many "^@^@^@^@^@^@". How to avoid it? Or how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Log rotation on HP-UX

Can anyone post a sample log rotate and archive configuration on HP-UX? I really don't know how to do that... :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: untamed
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What are tr.pid.rotation files?

Hi! I'm facing a unique problem! When I run a program on HPUX, it runs fine but it also produces a bunch of files of the format: tr.<pid>.number the contents of these files are a bunch of numbers and I know for a fact that these files are not created by the program I'm running. Seems... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zackz
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question