sendmail alternative

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sendmail alternative
# 1  
Old 03-26-2003
sendmail alternative

Hi,

I'm looking for a sendmail alternative. In an effort to comply with HIPAA regulations, our company launched a campaign to identify and replace insecure software and sendmail was one of them.

We use sendmail in many of our maintenance/monitoring scripts and would like to keep the same functionality that sendmail provides. Someone in the company suggested using net::SMTP perl module but I'm afraid this requires extensive programming that a lot of people are not capable or prepared to do.

Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
# 2  
Old 03-26-2003
take a look at www.postfix.org
# 3  
Old 03-26-2003
This looks just like what am looking for, I'll check it out.

Thanks for your quick response.
# 4  
Old 03-27-2003
I personally recommend QMail. It's secure, and functions to the end user almost like sendmail. When I switched over to it, it didn't even break my scripts since it replaces the sendmail binary (in /lib or /usr/lib - can't remember right now) with it's own version that works similarly.

It a LOT easier to configure / maintain too.
# 5  
Old 04-02-2003
The more options the better. I'll look into this option as well.

Thanks Livinfree

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help -- any alternative to expect ?

Doing some automation to automate some server tasks in Linux through shell scripting. In the script I tried to call a expect script to log into another server and execute a command. Please note: passwordless SSH is not possible hence am trying some User-interactive commands like Expect to send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for an alternative to Tcl

I've created quite a collection of tcl scripts which have buttons, radio buttons, check boxes, text fields, etc. These tcl scripts in turn call and execute several hundred sh, csh, bash, perl scripts and pass in the args based on the gui selections on the same and other redhat machines. We're... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottwevans
4 Replies

5. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.NET Alternative

Hi all, I was wondering what the Unix/Linux alternative is for ASP.NET? I know there is mod_mono for apache, but I think I am looking for a java based alternative. Something that offers things like codebehind pages ( seperating code from content ) , webcontrols, etc Thank you, goon12 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goon12
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop alternative?

I have a 1-column file with random numbers. this script runs to subtract 1 to the number and written to a file. With over 10,000 lines, it takes >2 minutes to complete the loop operation. is there an alternative awk/sed for looping to reduce the wait? Thanks! #!/bin/ksh for N in `cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question