Terminal too wide

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Terminal too wide
# 1  
Old 04-09-2008
Question Terminal too wide

Hi Experts,

It may be a trivial thing, but I am stuck. Whenver I try to open a file using vi I get error Terminal Too wide.

I am using putty to connect to a Sun OS.

Please advice.

Code:
bash-2.05$ vi all_subs_ded_20080203.txt
Terminal too wide
:q
1 more file to edit:q

# 2  
Old 04-09-2008
make your putty window smaller ( less wide ), it is a limitation in pre-solaris10 vi.
# 3  
Old 04-14-2008
any workaround?

IS there no Patch/fix/workaround.?...If I have to look at file with large contents....i feel miserable with small window browing left & right.
# 4  
Old 04-15-2008
try:
Code:
/usr/openwin/bin/resize

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

System-wide search

When looking for wherever a program or a filename appears in the system, a short scrip is "findinner" which another script calls with a long parameter list consisting of path names ending with ".sh" or ".menu". "findinner" looks like this: # If not .savenn file, show name and result of grep. #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

2. AIX

World Wide Name (FLEX)

Does anyone know how to find the Worl Wide Name (WWN) on a IBM flex system ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tharsan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long to wide format

hi, can you please help me convert my data i have paired comparisons (col 3) in long format for 750 variables (col 1 and 2), i need to convert into wide format. the diagonal must be 0s, and the order doesnt matter. My file is unsorted. example input A B 34 A 88 45 A A23 43 A23 B 4.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jianp83
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

When trying to open file Message:-Terminal too wide?

Hi, I am trying to open small size file only in vi editor on solaris or Linux machine but it giving message "Terminal too wide" and then I have to come out. As shown below:- -rwxr-x--- 1 rkycadm rkycprd 2445 Sep 12 04:06 $ vi file.txt Terminal too wide :q! ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote hosts and wide output?

Hello forum: I am curious about some output that I get using an alias <command> on a remote host and I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. Symptoms: Using "ssh -qi /path/to/key root@som.ipa.ddr.ess mail" (or variation of via alias) only gives a partial textual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal too wide error in vi editor.

Hello, I get the error "Terminal too wide" when I use vi editor on a Solaris 10 box. Please help. bash-2.05$ vi rman_backup_prd571.log_20090611 Terminal too wide :q 1 more file to edit:q Regards, Mahive. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahive
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

city wide connection

what would be the best way to phyisically connect a series of computerised bus stops to a central computer in a city-wide network?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spitfireuk1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

system wide password change

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I was trying to write a script that would force a system wide password change except for admins. I am having some trouble and any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to do it by using the UID as the marker for anyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilemark
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question