Do You Own a Kindle?

View Poll Results: Do You Own a Kindle?
No. 22 44.00%
No, but I'm thinking about buying one. 16 32.00%
Yes, and I love it. 12 24.00%
Yes, and I wish I didn't. 0 0%
Voters: 50. This poll is closed

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Do You Own a Kindle?
# 15  
Old 01-10-2011
Kindle gen 2 and higher have a real pdf viewer. HOWEVER, the Kindle2 (the small one) ... the PDFs might not manipulate well... but they ARE rendered PDFs.

I hear that the Kindle gen 3 has even better PDF capabilities.... but recent firmwares on the gen 2 make PDFs work just fine (IMHO).
# 16  
Old 01-16-2011
No. I don't have a Kindle.

But I do have a Sony Reader (PRS650) which I thoroughly enjoy. I chose it after considerable comparisons to the multitude of other available eReaders in spite of it's higher cost, and I'm glad I did.

It's incredibly more convenient than paper books (pbooks). And I've found there is a huge reservoir of free literature that I'd previously thought I might read one day that is now free for the downloading.
# 17  
Old 03-04-2011
I just bought one:

- purchased 02.03.2011 11.30 AM
- delivered 04.03.2011 10:19 AM

It was a really rapid delivery - from US to Italy.
# 18  
Old 03-04-2011
I don't own a Kindle but a similar device (Nook) and am disappointed on how it renders pdf's which is why I bought it. I am not convinced that Kindle would do a better job, maybe the Sony 950 and am generaly disappointed in how eReaders are horrible at handling pdf's, so I don't plan to get another one very soon.
# 19  
Old 03-09-2011
I sold my Kindle 3 and it's one of the stupidest things I have ever done.
# 20  
Old 03-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by varelg
I don't own a Kindle but a similar device (Nook) and am disappointed on how it renders pdf's which is why I bought it. I am not convinced that Kindle would do a better job, maybe the Sony 950 and am generaly disappointed in how eReaders are horrible at handling pdf's, so I don't plan to get another one very soon.
Now, that was my primary concern before purchasing a Kindle.
Yes, I believe most of the eBook readers (having display < 7") render the pdf format the same way.

I found an acceptable (not a perfect) solution:
I send the pdf to Amazon for a free conversion (you receive the converted file via email, not via Wispernet!) and I loose a small part of the original formatting.

You could also use Modipocket Reader (free software) and the result is similar (I find it a bit worse, than the Amazon conversion).

I can display the pdf files nicely (without loosing any formatting) on my 7" tablet, but Kindle's e Ink technology is far better for me.
# 21  
Old 03-10-2011
Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoulov
I send the pdf to Amazon for a free conversion...
I can display the pdf files ..., but Kindle's e Ink technology is far better for me.
My Sony Reader can also render a PDF acceptably--if I use the teenie-weenie font size.
But I find it very difficult to read that small size.
And they look like trash when I select a larger font size.

Do PDF files flow and remain readable on the Kindle when you select a larger font size?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

1 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Hardware

Forcing Linux to keep charging my Kindle

Linux seems to have weird USB power saving features, my Kindle 3 only gets some charge before Linux powers down the USB port. When the device is mounted, it doesn't get enough power, with this same hardware under Windows I don't get the message on the Kindle "currently your kindle is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question