Solaris 10 banner issue

Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 banner issue
# 1  
Old 10-07-2011
Solaris 10 banner issue

Hi

When a user is tries to login , he is first prompted with a banner and then a password. After entering the password the banner is again shown and it says authentication error.
The error reads (from the console): sshd[29539]: error: PAM: Authentication failed for user

However the /var/adm/messages shows the following message :
Code:
sshd[4727]: [ID 218986 daemon.notice] Successful login for user

Below is the debug mode of ssh :

Code:
ssh -v user@10.85.181.10
OpenSSH_5.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8o-fips 01 Jun 2010
debug1: Reading configuration data /unisphere/srx3000/srx/.ssh/config
debug1: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug1: ssh_set_validator: ignore responder url
debug1: Connecting to 10.85.181.10 [10.85.181.10] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /unisphere/srx3000/srx/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /unisphere/srx3000/srx/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /unisphere/srx3000/srx/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /unisphere/srx3000/srx/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.8
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.8 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.5
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug1: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<2048<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY
The authenticity of host '10.85.181.10 (10.85.181.10)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 90:e0:5d:21:6b:a6:7f:64:2f:ad:e2:ec:01:e4:92:3a.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '10.85.181.10' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
debug1: ssh_rsa_verify: signature correct
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: Roaming not allowed by server
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Offering public key: /unisphere/srx3000/srx/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /unisphere/srx3000/srx/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive

You are accessing a XYZ Government (XYZG) Information System (IS) that is provided for authorized use only.
By using this IS (which includes any device attached to this IS), you consent to the following conditions:

+ The XYZG routinely intercepts and monitors communications on this IS for purposes including, but not limited to,
penetration testing, COMSEC monitoring, network operations and defense, personnel misconduct (PM),
law enforcement (LE), and counterintelligence (CI) investigations. 

+ At any time, the XYZG may inspect and seize data stored on this IS.

+ Communications using, or data stored on, this IS are not private, are subject to routine monitoring,
interception, and search, and may be disclosed or used for any XYZG authorized purpose.

+ This IS includes security measures (e.g., authentication and access controls) to protect XYZG interests--not
for your personal benefit or privacy.

+ Notwithstanding the above, using this IS does not constitute consent to PM, LE or CI investigative searching
or monitoring of the content of privileged communications, or work product, related to personal representation
or services by attorneys, psychotherapists, or clergy, and their assistants. Such communications and work
product are private and confidential. See User Agreement for details.

Password:

You are accessing a XYZ Government (XYZG) Information System (IS) that is provided for authorized use only.
By using this IS (which includes any device attached to this IS), you consent to the following conditions:

+ The XYZG routinely intercepts and monitors communications on this IS for purposes including, but not limited to,
penetration testing, COMSEC monitoring, network operations and defense, personnel misconduct (PM),
law enforcement (LE), and counterintelligence (CI) investigations. 

+ At any time, the XYZG may inspect and seize data stored on this IS.

+ Communications using, or data stored on, this IS are not private, are subject to routine monitoring,
interception, and search, and may be disclosed or used for any XYZG authorized purpose.

+ This IS includes security measures (e.g., authentication and access controls) to protect XYZG interests--not
for your personal benefit or privacy.

+ Notwithstanding the above, using this IS does not constitute consent to PM, LE or CI investigative searching
or monitoring of the content of privileged communications, or work product, related to personal representation
or services by attorneys, psychotherapists, or clergy, and their assistants. Such communications and work
product are private and confidential. See User Agreement for details.

Please help.

Thanks.

Last edited by pludi; 10-07-2011 at 11:25 AM..
# 2  
Old 10-07-2011
looks like you have some Pam settings which are preventing that user logging in.

you should have a file /etc/pam.conf

check that and see how it should be configured for ssh accesss, or post the contents into this thread, it might help give a clue what the issue is.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris Printing Issue

Message from lp on sunnyD (???) ... Subject: Problem with printer (name) The printer (name) has stopped printing for the reason given below. Fix the problem and bring the printer back on line to resume printing. The reason(s) it stopped (multiple reasons indicate repeated attempts): ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydalackk
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris version issue

Hi Friends, I am new in solaris. yesterday i installed solaris in VM. now while installing weblogic setup(.bin) its giving me Invalid argument error. after some google i have two points in my mind 1) i am using solaris on intel machine. thats why i am facing this issue. If answer is yes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal Baghla
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enable "banner" for a user in solaris?

Password: Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Do you agree with the banner terms (y/n)?: y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Vi issue with solaris

I'm facing a peculiar issue when using vi on solaris. When i open a file using vi & search for a string pattern & if that pattern is not found & if i exit, vi exits with return value 1. (Checked the return value with 'echo $?' ). When the string is found, vi exits with return value 0. This... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pj87
9 Replies

5. Solaris

Printing Issue On Solaris 10

Synopsis: Solaris 10 SunFire v880 with two networked HP laser printers set up through HPPI. Test page will print through HPPI but can't print to them us the lp command. When using the lp command it just hangs and causes the Samba process to fail. We have a SunFire v880 running Solaris 10. $$... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
1 Replies

6. Solaris

du -sh issue in solaris 10

i have 30 file systems on my production system and my system is responding too slow and / is 99% full is there any way i can run the du -sh only on root file systems and skip all the SAN file systems as the system is unable to do du -sdh * / as it would try to run du on all the SAN/NAS file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Issue

Hi, I am having a serious problem with a Solaris 2.6 box. Whenever I try and tar a large directory I get this error:tar: write error: unexpected EOF My own research shows that I might have to enable tarring large files by this command: fsadm -o largefiles <mountpoint> My box does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris sendmail issue

I am trying to send mail from a Solaris 10 machine to myself. The mail will be receive by a mail server. The problem is sendmail doesn't report any errors and there is nothing in mailq output. In the logs the stat=queued. I do not receive the mail in my mailbox. I could telnet to the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Create Banner/Login Messages in Solaris.

Hi, I have been trying to create a banner/login message (something for displaying the usage policy etc) to appear while I login using telnet/FTP to any Solaris (pref. Solaris9) machine. I have tried using /etc/issue and /etc/motd files. Both do not solve my need. In that, /etc/issue displays... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10 auth issue

Very strange one, we've got a recently build server (Sol10 via JET flash). Bascially you can ssh to it fine, but telnet will allow entry of username, but will then feed in a carriage return on the passwd field, this also happens on any auth type command, ie passwd on a user account will also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question