su cmd not working

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting su cmd not working
# 1  
Old 10-05-2004
su cmd not working

HI all,
i want to run various Unix cmds thru a java prg. following is the code which i have written.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
import java.io.*;

class Run
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
String ls_str;
try{
Process cmd_su = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("su - imail");
}
catch(Exception e){}
}
}
--------------------------------------------------------------------
the cmd su (switch users) works but i am not located there !!!!!!
any pointers will help me solving my problem ...

Thanks & Regards
SONAL
# 2  
Old 10-05-2004
You may need to add the username to the wheel group to allow su to work with that username.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Utilization in HTML format working in one environment and not working on the other

Hi Team, I have written the shell script which returns the result of the disk space filesystems which has crossed the threshold limit in HTML Format. Below mentioned is the script which worked perfectly on QA system. df -h | awk -v host=`hostname` ' BEGIN { print "<table border="4"... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harihsun
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail cmd for html body and attachment not working

Hi, I am having trouble in sending a mail with html body and attachment (csv file). We don't have uuencode or mutt (not allowed to install as well) The below code is perfectly working for sending the html body alone: export MAILTO=abc@xyz.com export CONTENT="/home/abc/list.html"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: close2jay
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl open(CMD, "cmd |"); buffering problem..

Hello, There's a third-party application's command that shows the application's status like "tail -f verybusy.log". When use the command, the output comes every 1-sec. but when it goes in a script below the output comes every 8-sec...What is the problem and how can I fix it? open(CMD,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Long UNC path not working in CMD.EXE on remote machine

Hi, I am trying to connect to a remote server using Plink tool. Both my local and remote machines are Windows. On remote server, I have OpenSSH server installed. I am able to run commands on remote machine but there is some problem with long UNC path, which I noticed today. For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Technext
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

how passwd cmd is working

how unix users able to change their password even if they have only read permissions and how backend process will be happening can u explain me which are files need to involved in this process (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find cmd not working correctly in script

I am trying to copy 2 types of files so I can archive them. I tested with a set of commands: touch -t $(date -d "-60 day" +%Y%m%d) WORKDIR/REF find TARGETDIR/ -type f -maxdepth 1 -iname \*.out\* -or -iname \*.log\* ! -newer WORKDIR/REF -exec ls -l {} \; This correctly lists any files in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prismtx
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Find cmd working in Linux and not in SunSolaris 5.8

find . -type f -mtime -1 -ls command not working in sun solaris 5.8 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotbaweja
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find cmd not working as expected

Hi, i wan to search the file starting with Admin into the directory Output. I am running below command: find /appl/Output -name "Admin*" -prune but this command is going into the sub directories present under output. I do not want to search under sub directories. Any help will be highly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal123
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question