Creating an a script that uses an operand

Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Creating an a script that uses an operand
# 1  
Old 03-16-2012
Creating an a script that uses an operand

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

Create a script that displays output with a specific parameter.

For example, for a script called score
Typing score steelers would show
19 - 12
score greenbay
20 - 10
and so on.

The big question here is how to create a script that will run when using a parameter.

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:
Code:
vi score
#!/bin/ksh -p

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
Code:
#!/bin/ksh -p
$[ if score == stellers ]
$then
$echo [ "19 - 10" ]
$fi

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

Arizona State University, Temoe, USA, Mazzola
Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

Last edited by pludi; 03-16-2012 at 04:32 AM..
# 2  
Old 03-16-2012
And what happens when no agruments are given?

I suppose you would like to do the thing properly no?
So start testing positional parameters...
Then include exit with messages:
e.g. " expecting only one argument" or if none given "error missing argument " you can even display "usage: blablah "

Next what are those $ signs in 1rst position? (Artefact I hope...)
Then extra clue for the test you displayed: How do you show the content of a variable?...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I determine the best number to use for the bs (block size) operand of the dd command?

When I create a bootable Linux distro installation USB drive, I use this command: sudo dd if=/Path/to/linux_distro.iso of=/dev/rdisk<disk number> bs=<number of bytes> When I look it up, I've seen variations of people choosing 4M, and I think 8M, 2M, and maybe even 1M. If I leave the operand... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quenz
4 Replies

2. Programming

How to extract operand size in bits of a C program?

Hi I'm new to shell programming. How do I extract the size of an operand in a simple instruction in a C program? Lets say there is an addition a+b somewhere in a C code where a and b are integers. How to extract the size of a & b in bits? Is there something called intermediate code before an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question: modulo operator with negative operand, bug or feature?

Hi, I'm new to the Ash shell so my apologies if this is well known. In normal maths and other shells and languages I've used, the modulo operator always returns a positive remainder. For example see this discussion (first post so I can't hyperlink it): ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: FleetFoot
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment operator without operand

Does anyone know how this line in bash works? local gotbase= force= nicelevel corelimit local pid base= user= nice= bg= pid_file= local cgroup= These lines are part of the daemon function inside the "functions" file at /etc/init.d in RH. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp: missing file operand

Why cp: missing file operand? What "cp" parameter i need to add or whats wrong please? domlistexp=domlistexp domlistexp_bak=domlistexp_bak touch $domlistexp rm -rf $domlistexp_bak cp $domlistexp $domlistexp_bak output: + rm -rf domlist_bak + cp cp: missing file operand Try `cp --help'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
5 Replies

6. Programming

lvalue required as left operand of assignment

z < 0 ? z= z + 2*r*cos(theta) : z= z - 2*r*cos(theta); Does anyone know what is wrong here? I've got compiler msg: lvalue required as left operand of assignment All variables are "double". I'm using gcc compiler (but I don't think that matters) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmilyTheStrange
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script error: missing destination file name operand.

Ok, i've been messing around in debian the past few days, setting up programs like subversion, mysql and logrotate. The purpose of this script is to use subversion to backup the binary logs. It runs in the cron every 2 hours or so (although I can't get my script to run properly atm, which is why... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cganly
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

9. Programming

Need help compiling in C: lvalue required as left operand of assignment

Hi, I am trying to compile a program (not coded by me), and i'm getting this error: 203: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment As you may be guessing, the program doesn't compile, the line number 203 is the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: `-a' unexpected operator/operand in IF

When i tyr this, it gives me a syntax error...i tried removing quotes,removing spaces,replacing -eq with '='.. Can somebody suggest that is the problem? if ]; then (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba.admin2008
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question