/dev/log as socket

Operating Systems HP-UX /dev/log as socket
# 1  
Old 01-31-2012
/dev/log as socket

Hi,

How do I convet /dev/log from a pipe to a socket. As of now its is a pipe.

bash-4.0$ ls -l /dev/log
prw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 0 Jan 31 05:23 /dev/log

I need to have it as a socket.

Thanks
# 2  
Old 02-05-2012
Stop your syslog daemon.
Delete the /dev/log using rm, then restart the syslog daemon.
That should create socket /dev/log

Regards
Peasant.
# 3  
Old 02-08-2012
Its still creating as pipe after stopping syslog deamon. Should I change conf file?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Changing grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb

Hi, Please suggest steps to change grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

3. AIX

Problem in /dev/hd1 and /dev/hd9var

Hello AIXians, I can't boot my AIX, it hangs and stops at the code error: 0518 After searching google, I knew the problem is due to problems in File Systems. So the solution is booting from any bootable media, then run these commands in maintenance mode: #fsck -y /dev/hd4 #fsck -y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

5. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

when a process fails to write to /dev/log

Hi , when a process fails to write to /dev/log ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the import log to /dev/null?

Hi i am running oracle database import through a script and script scans the import log to see if there are any errors. Now the porblem is that when i run the script the import log appears on the screen even if i direct the output of import to /dev/null. imp "'/ as sysdba'"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo128
5 Replies

9. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Socket programming in bash (using /dev/udp)

Hi, I am trying to write 2 simple scripts. One to echo a message into a socket, and the other to read from it. There are many tutorials about, but they're mostly about retrieving web pages through a socket. The code I'm trying is echo qwerty > /dev/udp/localhost/22 (the first port I found that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeppelin147
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question