Back Up Manager

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Back Up Manager
# 1  
Old 05-20-2003
Back Up Manager

is there a way that I can check to see if the device is even being recognized? And would there be a reason that the Backup Manager closes as soon as I try to open it?
# 2  
Old 05-20-2003
1) start listing the os/software and respective verisons you are useing. cant help you without basic information.

2) did you check your logs for errors?

most systems have commands that will list the devices that are installed in the system.
# 3  
Old 05-20-2003
Java One Problem

I am completely new to Unix. I dont know any of the commands. I dont know how to find out what Versions or Devices are running.
I'm one of the dummies of the group
# 4  
Old 05-20-2003
not a prob.

1) what is the name of the backup manager (should be in the title bar or under the help menu)

2) at a command prompt type "uname -a" and paste the contents here
# 5  
Old 05-20-2003
Java HHHMMMM

I dont know what the backup manager is. The EXE on the desktop just says backup manager. When I type in uname -a i get this back:

SCO_SV [company name] 3.2 2 i386
# 6  
Old 05-20-2003
then i would ask the system administrator what backup software they are useing.

if you dont have a sys admin then i would ask your boss.

unix logs are typicaly in /var/adm/messages or /var/adm/log/syslog

you can view these by useing cat.

try this.

open 2 terminal sessions and tail each of the logs.

in window A type tail -f /var/adm/log/syslog
in window B type tail -f /var/adm/messages

then open up your backup software and see if you get any otuput from your two tail commands. if so paste it here.
# 7  
Old 05-20-2003
You might want to look at A.P. Lawrence for information on SCO for newbies, FAQ's, and the search utility. It won't help with the backup manager question (I searched it already on that) but will on many others - such as
How to add tape drives.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

I'm back

Hi all, I used to post here years ago, and was a moderator, my old username: zazzybob. Anyway, after a few years away focusing on my career, I'm back and keener than ever to get involved in the unix.com community again. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things, helping... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokiwinter
11 Replies

2. Solaris

RAID manager or veritas volume manager

Can somebody kindly help me to determine which one i should choose to better manipulate OS volume. RAID manager or veritas volume manager? Any critical differences between those two? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

4. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

back up

hi all i need to transfer files from one server to another,but i have to make up a backup with a datestamp on the destination server beore i move the new files from the source to the destination server. example source server destination server a.sun a.sun b.sun ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkan77
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help with back up please

Can anyone please tell me how safe is the following backup script? Does it really backing up the WHOLE system or just part of it? I do that with the system running an oracle database. Will I be able to restore the system in case of a fault? <pre> Here is the output of 'df -k' ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
11 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question