Lost PIDs on AIX platform? (Bing reused eventhough they does not exist currently for any Component.

Operating Systems AIX Lost PIDs on AIX platform? (Bing reused eventhough they does not exist currently for any Component.
# 1  
Old 12-27-2011
Data Lost PIDs on AIX platform? (Bing reused eventhough they does not exist currently for any Component.

Dear ALL,

I'm working on a Siebel CRM enterprise which is completely on AIX 5.3 platform. I'm trying to find some information, in case you may be able to help.

Is there any command/procedure on AIX 5.3 by which I could check the blocked PIDs or lost PIDs for my Siebel Object Manager component. These process somehow are getting used by the Siebel Components (SCBroker) but they actually don't exist. This PID was actually started couple of days back and after that servers were brought down and PID got lost. But I could see the reference of same PID getting used for which no component exist on siebel side. There seems to be some blokage at OS level?

I am looking for some command which could get me the historic information of the lost PID. e.g what all threads were running on it when it was created couple of days back, what was actually going on during that time (some sort of historic tracing??)??

Input from AIX gurus would really help.
# 2  
Old 12-27-2011
there is no historic process data on aix unless you have some kind of system monitoring (nagios/tivoli/bigbrother,zabbix,scom...)
# 3  
Old 12-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarora_98
These process somehow are getting used by the Siebel Components (SCBroker) but they actually don't exist. This PID was actually started couple of days back and after that servers were brought down and PID got lost. But I could see the reference of same PID getting used for which no component exist on siebel side. There seems to be some blokage at OS level?
I do not quite understand what you are trying to describe - to me it sounds like the parent process id is gone but the child processes are still there - just now owned by PID1 (the system)? In this case the processes are zombies and the only way to get rid of them is to reboot the system as they are useless hanging around eating system resources and you cannot kill them or remove them anyways.

Regards
zxmaus
This User Gave Thanks to zxmaus For This Post:
# 4  
Old 01-11-2012
Thanks for your reply!

Another issue I could see on AIX 5.3: At one of my customer they have got the ThreadLimit of 2500 set on web server in httpd.conf file.

Currently 2000 users have logged in each attaing a single instance of httpd.

While in ps -ef for httpd process it is showing thread count (thcount) almost 3000. This should have shown atmost 2500.

Why the difference?
# 5  
Old 01-11-2012
presumably idle connections - so users that were connected and where the connection has not been cleanly disconnected after they finished using it. Your application should disconnect them after x minutes of idle time as each connection - even with idle - is eating memory

regards
zxmaus
# 6  
Old 01-16-2012
Yes, these goes up and down. But, the point of concern is on top od ThreadLimit of 2500 there are so many connections. Almost 700-800 connections. WHich I think should not all be just idle connections, but few hanged up connections. Is there any formula how many additional idle connections would a 64-bit system running a 32-bit application could maintain? I don't think all would be idle, though there would be some. I don't have an exact idea how many???
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Lost original AIX DVD

At company I joined it seems I cannot trace install DVD (5765-G99 - AIX Enterprise 7.1) but according invoice I found we are entitled for it. It seems that support for account expired and I cannot download any software/updates except HMC ones :( Anybody knows which exact version (TL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spricer
1 Replies

2. AIX

Error when running .sh file in AIX platform

Hi, I am trying to open Oracle Warehouse Builder (10g) Design Center in AIX platform using the command ./OWBClient.sh. When I execute, I am getting the below error. The JVM option is invalid: -XX: MaxPermSize=256M. Could not create the Java Virtual Machine. Any resolution guidance for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky123
4 Replies

3. AIX

Email Notification if file exist in AIX

hi, I want to the AIX to check if file exist everyday and send me notification email. I added this to the root file in /var/spool/cron/crontabs 0 10 * * * /usr/sendS40No.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 I tried also 0 10 * * * /usr/sendS40No.sh and in the sendS40No.sh i wrote this if then echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amjad_bl3awy
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root password on aix lost, how to recover

Hi guys, we have "forget" the root password for 1 of our AIX machines, how can we reset it? or recover it?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

AIX APPVG - QUORUM LOST, VOLUME GROUP CLOSING

Hi, I am running AIX 5.3 TL8. After a disk failure, one of my mirrored application volumegroups went down. Unfortunately we have quorum switched on on this VG and the defective disk holds the majority. I have set MISSINGPV_VARYON to TRUE and tried a forced varyon but it's still failing. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
3 Replies

6. AIX

AIX platform: network interface list

Hi, I am trying to list all the interface present in the given system. Here is sample program. i.e. cat 1.c #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <sys/dlpi.h> #include <net/if.h> /*#include <sys/sockio.h>*/ #include <unistd.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgobbur
3 Replies

7. AIX

migrating easytrieve from Z/OS to AIX platform

Hi, my requirement is to migrate easytrieve running on Z/OS to AIX platform. can anyone let me know what changes should be made if we do such a migration. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit510
0 Replies

8. AIX

AIX platform

Hello, I need to download some programs to AIX 5.2 box but the download page have two versions: for 32 and 64 bits. Is there a command to know what platform is my AIX 5.2 box? I mean 32 or 64 bits?? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpoot
1 Replies

9. AIX

lost root password in AIX

Hi how do you reset the root password in AIX. I booted to single user mode and it asked for login and password. I have AIX 4.3. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Welfaric
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tracing utilities for AIX platform

Hello, I have an application problem that uses trimrun on an AIX 5.1 platform. A specific process clocks at 100% for a cpu. I would like to trace/debug this process to see what it is doing. I have used trace & truss but wondering if there are other utilities out there that are better? Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question