Supress screen output...

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Supress screen output...
# 1  
Old 04-09-2003
Supress screen output...

I need to suppress the output to the screen. I am appending to a file so do not need the output on the screen in the CLI environment.
eg.
cat $HOME/somefile >> $HOME/anotherfile

I am doing this a number of times with SQL output files so I can look at the finished file not on the screen in the CLI environment.

Smilie
# 2  
Old 04-09-2003
Try : cat $HOME/somefile >> $HOME/anotherfile 1>/dev/null

Can't try it myself at the moment, but may work.

Later ...

Actually, what you had initially was ok ( cat $HOME/somefile >> $HOME/anotherfile ) - just tested it then.
When you use the `>>` you are directing STDOUT to the second file so the first file won't scroll bye.

Last edited by Cameron; 04-10-2003 at 12:24 AM..
# 3  
Old 04-24-2003
Just a question here what is CLI ?
# 4  
Old 04-24-2003
CLI = command line interpreter

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Screen output to a file

Hi All, I am trying to out of shell script when i run it like sh /mypath/abc.sh ....a screen log should be generated whenever i input the values, when above the script prompt for values Regards Amarendra (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar1208
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Supress java error output to shell

Hello, I know this isn't exactly a shell script question but I'm not sure where else to post it. I am running a java program out of a shell script. There are times when I get an error like, "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 22 at blah, blah at blah, blah ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to supress output from tar and unzip commands?

I have the below two commands in my script. tar -xf hello.tar unzip -o tempp.zip When i run the script i see the below on my standard out. How can i suppress output coming from both the tar and unzip on my standard output. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Screen output

Is it possible to split the screen and show, lets say a local directory listing on the left and a remote directory listing on the right with shell scripting? I know it's usually done with curses/ncurses, but I'd really like to keep it simple as possible. I guess 'dialog' command could do it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lochraven
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suppressing output to the screen

I want to check whether the variable read from the console is number or character , so i used echo $option|grep and checked the reuslt returned by grep cmd using $? But since I use echo the value is getting printed in the screen , I want to supress the o/p. Can anyone suggest how this can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to force output to screen??

hi, is there anyway i can force a output of a command to the monitor. for example banner hello > /dev/console it will show a hello in the console, so how do i make it to appear on the monitor screen when the console is been minmize. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckng
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no screen output

I'm a newbie. I'm having a problem at work with a script. What i'm trying to do is connect to a cisco switch from a sun station. After i run the script and telnet into the switch i don't get any output on the "xterm window" and all my commands from the script don't show up on the screen or on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisher115
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I supress certian output with find?

I am using this command find . -type f -mmin "+$t" > holder Unfortunatley that is also printing files that begin with a period. Such as .bash_history. What can I do to supress files that begin with a period? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrchcol
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Turn off Screen Output

Is there a way to turn off standard output while processing is going on? I have tried redirecting to /dev/null but that is not working because some of the commands invoke a profile. I would like to temporarily turn off the screen output until the processing is complete. Sort of like a splash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

screen output

I need to put the following in a script: echo $CCPDB will give me the db name on the screen. I need to use this name to tar cvfEh <newtarname> <dbname.exp>. I am not sure how to use the output that display on the screen in a script. I tried this echo $CCPDB > file didn't work Gundu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gundu
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question