creating admin account

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers creating admin account
# 1  
Old 08-12-2005
creating admin account

does any know how I can create more admin login accounts in unix? would there be a file somewhere that would have a list of these accounts?

thanks,
gammaman
# 2  
Old 08-12-2005
As a general rule there is only one admin account in unix, the 'root' account. Some versions do allow certain roles to be delegated, however the root account remains the only true admin account.
# 3  
Old 08-12-2005
thanks for the reply. how about just regular new users?

gammman
# 4  
Old 08-12-2005
useradd to add new users.

While generally not the best idea, additional superuser accounts can be created by simply giving them a UID of 0

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Creating user account in Solaris

Hi I need to create a new user account in salaries. Can anyone tell me the cmd to create the new user acc. But the main thing is it should same permissions ,same group etc of already existing group. For example we have already one user in name “comp” so the newly created user should also have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating FTP account using SSH (putty)?

Hello, : ) I have a remote access to the server that hosts my joomla, and it does not have cpanel. So I have to do everything manually. I need to have an FTP account to the httpdocs folder because I need to put these info in the config file of joomla (to allow file uploading ...etc) So,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hayatt
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Creating User account with limited permission

Hi All, I want to create an user account which can only excute "df -kh" and "prstat -a" command. The user will not be able to perform "rm" and other critical commands. Is there a way to do it? rgds, Ronny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
2 Replies

4. Programming

Creating email account prgramatically + java ?

Dear Friend, I am working on java application which requires that after successful registration an email account is created (say username@mydomain.com) for user. Is is possible to create e-mail account programatically ? Enviornment - CentOs, Tomcat Web server. CPanel is available, but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reckless_jack
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a new account

Hi How do I create a new account with a specific group and home directory specified? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domburf69
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a new unix user account

:) Hi guis, I would like to Know how to create a new user account with examples. I refered some books ,but they r not clear. Can any body of u provide me a shell script to create a new user account. any help pls :) cheers Ravi Raj Kumar (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
7 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Error creating new account

I tried to create an account, user name Ralph.Armstrong using my corporate e-mail address. Unfortunately, I think my company's e-mail server must have blocked the confirming e-mail because I never got it. I then created another account, user name Ralph Armstrong using my personnal e-mail... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph Armstrong
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a manager account

Dear All, This is my first post, so greetings to you all! :cool: I have root access to a UNIX system, yet I would like to be able to create user accounts with special privileges and roles such i.e. a User Manager account a Print Manager Account or even an account with the same roles and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating a 'catchall' account in Sendmail

Is there any way of creating a 'catchall' or a default account that all undelivered mail can go to ? eg if we have 3 user accounts (user1, user2, admin) already set up, but someone sends an email to user3@mydomain.com, can sendmail figure out that it doesn't match any existing users and deliver... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: captainash
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question