sendmail/mail masquerade problem

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sendmail/mail masquerade problem
# 1  
Old 02-12-2003
Network sendmail/mail masquerade problem

I have a SCO 5.06 box running sendmail 8.11. I have set up sendmail to masquerade the domainname as bar.com.

ie in the sendmail.cf file the directive
DMbar.com is set.

When I send mail using mail/mailx, it appends the local hostname "foo" to the masquerade address and inserts this into the "from field" in the envelope header, instead of the masquerade address by itself.

Thus the reply address is xxx@foo.bar.com when I want it to be xxx@bar.com

at first I thought it was sendmail but then i discovered that
if I use a different mail program such as pine, I get the correct repoly address of xxx@bar.com.

I suspect that it is mail/mailx that is not writing the header correctly, however I have tried to replicate this on an identical SCO installation and I can't.

Not sure what the hell is going on, perhaps someone out there is better at this than I am.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Mark
# 2  
Old 02-13-2003
This link has good info on sendmail and masquerading:

http://www.connact.com/~esj/sendmail/masquerade.html

Also, check out:

www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading.html

(when the link is back up and working)

The general concensus on the net is to use the MC file to configure masquerading and not to edit the sendmail.cf file directly.

Also, see this thread:

http://lantech.geekvenue.net/chuckti...944/index_html
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Proxy Server

How to send mail (sendmail) for php mail()?

PHP mail() function doesn't work. Nor does sendmail: loaded system configuration file /etc/msmtprc ignoring user configuration file /home/xi/.msmtprc: No such file or directory falling back to default account using account default from /etc/msmtprc host = xsi port = 25 proxy host = (not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

2. AIX

Sendmail masquerade

I'm trying to configure sendmail masquerading and it seems like I'm having a problem with m4. My main problem is that internally generated emails are showing up externally as originating from: internal_user@internal1.mydomain.com. internal1.mydomain.com doesn't resolve publicly, nor should it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aix_user1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sending mail from txt file having HTML code via sendmail -t

Hi, i have the following code in shell named as test3.sh.. #!/bin/sh . /home/<user>/.profile export dt=`date "+%d%b%y"` export tim=`date "+%d%b%y %HM:%MM"` cd export WD=`pwd` SID="<sid>" export SID export ORACLE_SID=$SID export ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/$SID/102_64 export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail masquerade

Hi, Please tell me what is sendmail masquarade and what is the use of it? Its pretty confusing :eek:.. Is it all about like when mail is sent from sender to receiver, the receiver cannot see the hostname/internal username of sender.. And I found they constitute various classes like class... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does the mail command use sendmail?

The question is, Does the mail comman actually send using sendmail or something else? So I am trying to test if sendmail is set up. I used... cat testemail.txt | mail -s "test mail" myemail@test.com I used my email though I didn't get an error, but didn't get the email either. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wondernate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail or sendmail ?

1. I need to send emails using a shell script on linux. I want to use the most widespread method (the preferred method). Is one considered deprecated in favor of the other? Which, mail or sendmail ? 2. Now, without trying to favor mail in the first question: How can I include a From: mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limmer
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx?

Hi, I'm brand new here and looking for a solution: I'm using mail or mailx. The default reply address is «myshortusername@mylongusername.local» which makes absolutely no sense for anybody receiving my emails. But how do I change it? There seem to be many solutions but none for Mac OS X.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gczychi
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail help for nobody mail box

Hi there all, I got a small tiny problem of not remambering how this worked. I get when I mail to a non existing mailbox I get a return failer to nobody@domain.bla wich will end up in root@domain.bla What I want is to get it to /dev/NULL so I dont get a messege when I mailed to a non existing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
0 Replies

9. Linux

local mail relay problem in Sendmail

I have a linux box. Sendmail is work fine in this box. The only problem I am facing is whenever I send mail using the mail command to the outside world or to root@localhost, I get this error - 127.0.0.1 localhost denied from relaying The command I used to send mail is - Ls -l | mail -s... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forwarding mail with sendmail

Hello, I need to forward mail wich are in some users mailbox. The .forward redirection is working for all new mails but not for old. Is someone know how to do this ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annececile
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question