Root Backup

Operating Systems Solaris Root Backup
# 1  
Old 06-19-2012
Root Backup

Hello,

In what cases we take backup of Root file system. Can someone explain please.

Thanks & Regards,
Bar
# 2  
Old 06-19-2012
I don't really understand what you're asking here. What do you mean in what cases?
# 3  
Old 06-19-2012
I mean in what situations in the production environment?? For example like before upgrading OS or patches installation or Ram upgradation. When do we go for taking backup of a root filesystem.
# 4  
Old 06-19-2012
Ah you're asking about backup policies.

We run a full backup every Sunday and then it's held offsite Monday morning for production level servers. Every day of the week except Sunday we do incremental backups.

Also, we do a full backup before every major patch / upgrade / hardware change that could potentially affect normal operations.

Thing is, we use Symantec Netbackup for our systems here so that may change the mindset since it does all for open file backup.

Last edited by mattymatt79; 06-19-2012 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Wording change
This User Gave Thanks to mattymatt79 For This Post:
# 5  
Old 06-19-2012
Thank you very much that was a useful info. Is this backups will include only the filesystems which are mounted?? Will you take backup of root (/)filesystem also. If you take backup of root (/) filesystem then will you do only before major activities?? or regularly?
# 6  
Old 06-19-2012
That's exactly what I meant when I said fullback up.

But like I said your situation may vary since we're using Symantec netbackup.

Full every Sunday incremental every day full before any change in OS. Before anything that could cause downtime.
This User Gave Thanks to mattymatt79 For This Post:
# 7  
Old 06-19-2012
Hi, bhargav90.

You may be interested in acquiring this book:
Code:
Title: The Practice of System and Network Administration
Author: Limoncelli, Hogan, Chalup
Edition: 2nd
Date: 2007
Publisher: Addison-Wesley
ISBN: 0321492668
Pages: 1000
Categories: SA, system administration, network administration, planning
Comments: "six key principles of site design and support practices:
simplicity, clarity, generality, automation, communication, and basics
first"
Comments: Unusual in that there are few, if any, scripts, code, etc.
Comments: and that it is platform agnostic.
Comments: Concentrates on planning, upgrades & change management, backup, etc.
Comments: 4.5 stars, 37 reviews, Amazon -- seem to be for 1st edition
Comments: first edition 2001
Comments: Table of contents, etc, at:
Comments: http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/academic/product/0,3110,0321492668,00.html

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Backup root disks

Hi all! Please I would appreciate some inputs on the following: I have inherited a SUN BLADE chassis with 6 T6320 server modules, in which there is only 1 root disk in all of them. I need to do a backup of the root disk in case those disk crash. But there is no backup device attached to it.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

4. AIX

rsync backup root files

Hi, I am trying to use rsync utility through ssh to synchronize some root files of 2 servers. I have a rsyncusr user in each server. I configured ssh with no password. I set NOPASSWD in the /etc/sudoers file: rsyncusr ALL= NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/rsync In order to make rsync able to sudo and be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samalogo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/root restore backup exec

Hi we use backup exec to backup our linux servers... question is what if the linux server is corrupted (/root) and doesnt boot up .. how would the backup exec restore /root if the server cant even start? woukld we have to restore to another server then boot into rescue mode and copy across... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

7. Solaris

root backup

Hi I am using EBS 7.2 for backup. We have to shift server, before that i want to take root backup for all server. i don't know how to take entire root please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

8. AIX

How can I authorize a non-root user to do a system backup with 'mksysb'?

I use AIX 5.2 I want to allow a non-root user to do a system backup with 'mksysb' command. I try to add 'ManageBackup' Role to that non-root user but it have an error "ksh: mksysb: 0403-006 Execute permission denied." What should I do? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX122
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question