Process crashing on AIX due to memory Leak

Operating Systems AIX Process crashing on AIX due to memory Leak
# 1  
Old 04-10-2009
Process crashing on AIX due to memory Leak

Hi All,

I have a process running on my AIX 5.3 server box. The process runs fine for 5-6days but then crashes. The log file shows malloc failure and the svmon (Virtual memory size), ps -lef (SZ value) are also gradually increasing. But unfortunately MALLOCDEBUG and any other memory debugging tools does not show any leak in source code. I am not getting the reason of this process crash. I request all the experts here in AIX to help me solve this issue.

Regards,
Sebby

Last edited by SBatra; 04-10-2009 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Incomplete Data provided earlier
# 2  
Old 04-12-2009
Hi

That process you have identify .... is it from the AIX OS ?? or is Oracle ?? DB2 ?? What is it ?

Is nice to find out such errors by analizing core files and even dump ones from your server but it might be dangerous if your appl is on production. Place a call to IBM and send them all necessary files, they have tools to analize and a big database where to look for such problems. I usually ask for the current version of the AIX system:

oslevel -s

and apply the latest available maintenance level, as well as apply latest maintenance level of the failing appl.

Hope this helps
# 3  
Old 04-12-2009
Hi,

is the process you're talking about a java process - and you rather have shared memory issues than real ones? There's a known issue with shared memory hungry 32bit applications like websphere, mq and contentmanager on 64bit AIX - and IBM has a few patches available that can help you depending on the application ...

Rgds
Nicki
# 4  
Old 04-14-2009
Thank you all for replying. The process that is crashing is of my own application, written in C. The application is on production and what all I found from core files and dumps has already been analyzed. But unfortunately it din't help. The latest maintanance patch is already being used on server AIX5.3. Please let me know what I can do to avoid this crash. I have analyzed the Heap area continously growing for this process. But all allocations and deallocations has been done at required points. Please suggest me.

Thanks & regards,
Sebby
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Process, PID and total memory consumed on AIX.

Hi, Below is the code snippet I use on Linux (Centos) to retrieve the Process Name, PID and memory consumed on Linux (Centos) host:- top -b -n 1 | awk -v date="$tdydate" -v ip="$ip" 'NR>7 {print date","ip","$12,","$1,","$10}' Any idea how the same can be retrieved on an AIX host? This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
1 Replies

2. Solaris

VCS Crashing due to inconsistency in opt (managed by VxvM)

We have a Sun Server running Solaris 10 and Veritas Cluster Server. The RAID Volumes in the Server (/ , swap, opt, var, usr) are managed by VxVm and UFS is grown on all these volumes. Lately the system has been crashing due to an inconsistency in the opt filesystem. Upon reboot we did a fsck on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aji1729
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Memory leak

Hi all I am using RED HAT 5.4, and i am getting memory uses problem. when i use "sync;echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_cache" command the memory will release after 2,3 hour memory show 95%. pls suggest right way. thanks (37 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
37 Replies

4. AIX

How much memory for each process running on AIX?

I'm trying to figure how much memory per process is using? I think it's the TRS column x 4k (127800 x 4). Am I right? Any advice is greatly appreciated. PID TTY STAT TIME PGIN SIZE RSS LIM TSIZ TRS %CPU %MEM COMMAND 753726 - A 13:01 0 154100 281900 xx... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
7 Replies

5. Programming

AIX dbx - attaching to a process that is crashing

Hey everyone, I'm trying to attach to a process that is crashing so I can debug the source code. I've tried this: dbx -a PID stop at "file.cpp":line# However, nothing ever breaks. The service crashes and restarts, but I never see it hitting the code. I've tried to use a core file, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctote
2 Replies

6. Programming

Memory Leak

Hi, I am trying a database server which keeps a B+ plus tree structure and works on it. I am trying to find the memory used/leak while executing this process. I check the memory leak by using ps uax command. When i execute a delete query i am sure that my code frees up the existing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
9 Replies

7. IP Networking

memory leak?

Hi All, my client server application can work in two modes: 1) one direction - only client sends msgs to server 2) two directions - server gives 'answers' to client. when program run in the first mode it looks OK, but when server answers to client than client's application exit its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenna
2 Replies

8. Programming

memory functions crashing in AIX

Hi All, I'm facing the following issue with my shared libraries in 64 bit AIX. Memory related calls such as memset, memcpy, malloc etc are failing miserably. there is something wrong with stack/memory which i can't guess. i've used the following flags to build my libraray: ld -G... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav05252
0 Replies

9. Programming

about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi, First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts. Here is my question. I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks? In what cases does the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question