error while using cut

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers error while using cut
# 1  
Old 07-26-2009
error while using cut

im reading in a file line by line and trying to cut part of it but it wont work and is giving me this error

ipaddress=`cut -d ' ' -f 2 $line`

im getting this error

work1: line 23: [: : unary operator expected

Does anyone know what the correct syntax should be?
# 2  
Old 07-26-2009
Why dont u post the whole script and you better use code tags too when you post it.
# 3  
Old 07-26-2009
magnia,

Are you sure it is an issue with the cut statement? I see you have another post open:

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...variables.html

That if statement might be the thing giving you problems, as that is normally the type of error you get when you are comparing the wrong data type.
# 4  
Old 07-26-2009
got it to work, i catted $line then used pipe to do the cut and it worked fine

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -c1 ERROR

Hi All, what are c1,c5...etc....in cut command. example : v_update=`echo $v_update| cut -c1-$count` i am getting below error if i run the above command cut: invalid range specifier what could be the reason. What the change i have to make in my command to avoid this error. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question