Boot problems with SunBlade 2000

Operating Systems Solaris Boot problems with SunBlade 2000
# 8  
Old 08-26-2009
you've the same problems with the new media from sun? your device path seems to be ok, so the "boot cdrom" should work... maybe the drive has a defect... do you have another (externel) dvd drive for testing reasons?
also you should install (if not done already) the newest OBP firmware... you'll find the patch on sunsolve (118323-01)
# 9  
Old 08-27-2009
Code:
boot cdrom - install

bad magic label usually is a bad hard drive. I have seen many of these before even on a new system. We replaced the hard drive and it worked afterwards
# 10  
Old 09-03-2009
OK different hard drive tried boot cdrom no joy tried boot cdrom-install
again no go Get a can't open boot device went thru all the aforementioned commands and it generated same info before
devalias shows cdrom /pci@8,700000/scsi@6/disk@6,0:f

I have a sunblade 100 that recognized the software and is connected to the net thru a router so I know the software is ok. I have another dvd that I could try, if it could be a hardware problem.

I had no problems setting up the 100 machine up and I am refusing to
give up the ship quite yet.
# 11  
Old 09-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnewbie
OK different hard drive tried boot cdrom no joy tried boot cdrom-install
again no go Get a can't open boot device went thru all the aforementioned commands and it generated same info before
devalias shows cdrom /pci@8,700000/scsi@6/disk@6,0:f

I have a sunblade 100 that recognized the software and is connected to the net thru a router so I know the software is ok. I have another dvd that I could try, if it could be a hardware problem.

I had no problems setting up the 100 machine up and I am refusing to
give up the ship quite yet.

This can be as simple as a dirty/dusty lens in the CDrom drive. The devalias looks right when compared with your probe-scsi but I need to check when I come to the office to be 100% sure (we are a HP shop where I am at the moment). Was the DVD's downloaded or original disks? IF so make sure you burn DVD's using -R media and also at a slow speed. The DVD in a blade is a IDE one I think while the one in the 2000 is scsi and might behave differently.

Cheers Dyna
# 12  
Old 09-04-2009
DVD is the latest version from SUN. Originals. I can give the drive a puff of air to dislodge any debris and give it another go. Will a external USB drive be recognized to use as a alternative to the internal one?
# 13  
Old 09-04-2009
can you post the output of the command

Code:
ok banner

from OBP?
# 14  
Old 09-05-2009
Code:
Sun Blade 2000/1000 (2 X Ultra SParc-III+) , Keyboard Present
Copyright 1998-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Open Boot 4.5, 8192 MB Memory installed,Serial #56328373. Ethernet address 0:3:ba:5b:80:b5, Host ID:835b80b5.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 09-05-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Boot Sunblade 1000 from disc

Hi everyone! so i will warn you now, i was thrown into an IT position that is a tad over my head with everything it covers mainly with linux, so i'm pretty noobish. But i need to wipe a ton of sun scsi hard drives with this sunblade 1000 and i have no idea how to boot to the dvd of solaris 10 to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panther8644
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Re-install Sunblade 2000 with new solaris OS release

Hi all, I am a newbie with sunblade 2000 hardware. I need to format the server and re-install a new solaris release, and I don't know how to do... If I try to boot on a CD, it didn't boot, Is it normal ? Do I need to go to a bios ? what is the key sequence ? to plug a console ? on which port ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fritch
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SunBlade 2000

Hi guys, I have a SunBlade 2000 that I am trying to configure. It has been configured previously with an IP address, hostname, DNS and so forth. I want to configure it with a new IP address. How can I achieve this? It has been one of the most difficult tasks for me as I am not really... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkayev
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 Sunblade 2000 and French HP Keyboard

Hello Experts I am trying to use my Solaris 8 Sunblade 2000 with a French HP Keyboard. My system needs to be configured with this keyboard. Please advise where I can set it up. By the way I am using CDE environment. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
0 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

boot problems

i have 2 server es40 and ds20 with with unix truevector , the es40 is down cause of hard problem i have traied to take hard disksfrom ES40 and put then in DS20 but there is problem -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastfreemen
1 Replies

6. Debian

Problems with boot

Hello, I recently installed Knoppix 4.0.2 on my PC there is dual boot with W2K, the installation runs without a problem, but everytime that I boot appears this message: Kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to munt root fs on unknow block (3,6) Can anybody help me to know, waht is happenning?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot Problems

During the boot process of my SPARCstation 5, it hangs up at this message: Setting default interface for multicast: add net 224.0.0.0: gateway jpt2. What do I need to do to get past this point? Is there something I need to turn off? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saucierm
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot windows 2000 and solaris 8

Hello I recently purchased solaris 8 and I want to dual boot with windows 2000. What is the easiest way to install the solaris OS with the existing windows 2000? mogfog (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogfog
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot Red Hat and 2000

Hi, I'm trying to set up a dual boot with Win2000 and Red Hat. I installed Win 2000 first a partitioned 2 separate drives. When I start the Red Hat install with Disk Druid, it sees my partitioned drives, but won't let me install Red Hat. What is my issue? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jensam
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot problems

i have windows 2000 on hda. when i was running freebsd on hdb, i installed their boot manager and it worked fine. today i installed suse linux on hdb in place of freebsd, but the freebsd boot manager is still there. it will boot windows but has some problems trying to boot linux. the boot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question