Some sed help pls

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Some sed help pls
# 1  
Old 12-02-2009
Some sed help pls

Hello,

I have made a list of files of which I want to remove strings beginning with <iframe and </iframe

When I run the script I see the files fly along and the strings being removed.
However, in the source files nothing has changed.
Do I really need to write sed's result to a different output file... or can this be done inside the original file itself?

Thanks, Alge

#!/bin/bash
while read line; do
sed -e '/<iframe[^>]*>/d'; -e '/<\/iframe[^>]*>/d' < $line
done < /root/allsites-com-3.txt
# 2  
Old 12-02-2009
you can use the -i option to do inline proccessing of the file(s). Also, if you add an ext to -i ie: -i.bak your ariginal file will be preserved with a .bak extension
# 3  
Old 12-02-2009
Code:
sed -e '/<iframe[^>]*>/d'; -e '/<\/iframe[^>]*>/d'

Hi, you are saying that it works, but I don't think that can because of the semicolon.
If you get rid of the semicolon, your code
Code:
sed -e '/<iframe[^>]*>/d' -e '/<\/iframe[^>]*>/d'

will delete the whole line if it contains an iframe tag (begin/end) and its contents. Since you are deleting the whole line, you can also use:
Code:
sed '/<[/]*iframe[^>]*>/d'

or even:
Code:
sed '/<[/]*iframe/d'

# 4  
Old 12-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Code:
sed -e '/<iframe[^>]*>/d'; -e '/<\/iframe[^>]*>/d'

Hi, you are saying that it works, but I don't think that can because of the semicolon.
If you get rid of the semicolon, your code
Code:
sed -e '/<iframe[^>]*>/d' -e '/<\/iframe[^>]*>/d'

will delete the whole line if it contains an iframe tag (begin/end) and its contents. Since you are deleting the whole line, you can also use:
Code:
sed '/<[/]*iframe[^>]*>/d'

or even:
Code:
sed '/<[/]*iframe/d'

Thanks guys.
Scrutinizer, you 've got a sharp eye!
I started my tests without the semicolon (like the one you showed; I just added the semicolon later.

But also without the semicolon the line which contains the iframe won't get deleted. I then tested it with one file at a time and yes, then it works....

I am ging to try Sweetblood's suggestion to work with the -i option for removing the line "in-file".
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace not work Pls. help me

sed replace not work Pls. help me I used sed command in my file 66875964560@1982589 90825890001@90825890001@3@15/12/2007 14:25:14@22/03/2010 6:06:13@20/01/2010 3:28:39 66873064490@1925912 90259120001@90259120001@5@02/04/2009 1:51:31@30/10/2009 3:08:34@13/09/2009 8:24:33... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
3 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help pls

How to find the ten most common words in a file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jass
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP PLs

I have this code: #!/bin/sh awk 'BEGIN NR == 2 repl = "PHI" $4 = repl print $0 'dryloop.txt and this code: #!/bin/sh sed -e '1s/\|$/\|COMID\|/g' -e 's/^087.*$/&PHI\|g' hl.dsldryloop > textdry.txt My code won't work. I want to change the COMID of lines starting with 087 . this is my... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: arkhei
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Pls do help me

When i run this command, everything is ok. The file can be email and attached but soon after i download the file, the file cant be read. It's seem corrupted. Totally cant be read although i'm using context or wordfile. Original file generated at ek_bkup/alert/tbspace_datafile.log is OK..... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Help

Hi Folks, I am new to this forum. and I just started learning shell scripting. I have a file called energy.out which looks like: -218213.3729 -224215.0059 -221509.3651 -221094.2627 -220660.3223 -222630.2339 -218697.8693 Now I want to calculate the average of energies and then average... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pls help

Hi, I need your help guys. I have two data files, namely 101.amberized.pdb & 101.pdb . Now I want to replace the whole 3rd column of 101.amberized.pdb with the 3rd column of 101.pdb file. How do I do it in shell? Thanks in advance Parimal (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuchu
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help pls!

Hi... Why should I press F1 to start windows?! I have Xp in my computer... thx 4 help Cano (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cano
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pls Help

Hi every one I have got very very bad Email, My question is: How can I get all information about that f*** Email, I do mean IP,reall name, Adress, user name, password etc... I wonder if there is any program or website that I can see that email, help me please When I used windows Xp(old... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cano
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help pls

Hi, I'm a newbie. I need help on my first assignment in UNIX. 1. How do I determine the number of non-empty directories? I was told to create a variable ARCHIVE, which points to the directory that contains the archive of the messages. But I'm so dumb and I don't even know how to do this. 2. In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hygsg
1 Replies

10. Linux

pls help me

we hv a big enviroment networked. we use squid proxy. access allowed by src address previously. we have win2000 network with ads. my requirement is the proxy should allow domain users only for access. how can i map my windows userdatabase with squid is there any thing specific which has 2 b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question