awk Question: How to remove lines in which $3 == $1 +4

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk Question: How to remove lines in which $3 == $1 +4
# 8  
Old 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
You were very close. Try:
Code:
awk '$3 == ($1 + 4) {print}' input > output

or, more simply:
Code:
awk '$3 == ($1 + 4)' input > output

@Don Cragun
That shouldnt matter as the precedence of '+' is higher than '==' so addition will be performed before the test for equality...
@OP
Post an actual sample of the input file in case the 1st or 3rd columns are strings instead of numbers...
# 9  
Old 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
@Don Cragun
That shouldnt matter as the precedence of '+' is higher than '==' so addition will be performed before the test for equality...
@OP
Post an actual sample of the input file in case the 1st or 3rd columns are strings instead of numbers...
Hi shamrock,

Yes, I mentioned in message #4 in this thread that the parentheses shouldn't matter. (However, I have seen evidence that some implementations of awk don't conform to the precedence rules specified by the standards.)

And, in message #6, I asked for a sample of the input, and, in message #7, livbaddeley said a sample will be provided tomorrow.
# 10  
Old 02-12-2014
Thank you very much, the code you helped me with works fine!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to remove lines from file that match text

I am trying to remove each line in which $2 is FP or RFP. I believe the below will remove one instance but not both. Thank you :). file 12 123 FP 11 10 RFP awk awk -F'\t' ' $2 != "FP"' file desired output 12 11 (6 Replies)
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines from output in files using awk

I have two large files (~250GB) that I am trying to remove the where GT: 0/0 or 1/1 or 2/2 for both files. I was going to use a bash with the below awk, which I think will find each line but how do I remove that line is that condition is found? Thank you :). Input 20 60055 . A ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk to remove lines

Hi, I have a file with contents. file1: <2013 tttaaa abc123 <2013 gggdddd <2013 sssssss <2013 eeeee I need to remove the lines which do not have the word "tttaaa" can some one help ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove x lines form top and y lines form bottom using AWK?

How to remove x lines form top and y lines form bottom. This works, but like awk only cat file | head -n-y | awk 'NR>(x-1)' so remove last 3 lines and 5 firstcat file | head -n-3 | awk 'NR>4' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicate lines using awk

Hi, I came to know that using awk '!x++' removes the duplicate lines. Can anyone please explain the above syntax. I want to understand how the above awk syntax removes the duplicates. Thanks in advance, sudvishw :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove lines before and after with awk / sed ?

Hi guys, I need to remove the pattern (ID=180), one line before and four lines after. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashimada
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited Help me correct this. nawk -F"|" '{a=$0; gsub(FS, "",a); if(length(a)) print}' file1 nawk -F"|" '{gsub(FS, "",$0);if(length($0)) print}' file1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk to remove specific lines

I have searched the forum for this - forgive me if I missed a previous post. I have the following file: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah alter table "informix".esc_acct add constraint (foreign key (fi_id) references "informix".fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all blank lines in shell or awk.

Hi there, I want to trim space between lines in unix. I have a file named abc.txt with 2,00,000 lines.But useful are only a few. Please tell me how to delete the blank lines.:o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question