Replacing nth field with nth_text for each line in a file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing nth field with nth_text for each line in a file
# 1  
Old 06-16-2015
Replacing nth field with nth_text for each line in a file

Hi All,

I am very new to shell scripting and tried to search this in the forum but no luck.

Requirment:

I have an input file which is comma separated. I need to replace the value in 4th column with another value. This has to happen for all the lines in the file.

Sample data:

Input file :

Code:
Mon.YY,FYYYYY,Scenario,HFMEntity,HFMAccount,Currency,Value
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1610,AAMO,CNY,-18450
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1611,AAMO_6183,CNY,-18450
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1613,ADEP,CNY,-1627.32
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1614,ADEP_61090,CNY,-1627.32

Resultant file:

Code:
Mon.YY,FYYYYY,Scenario,HFMEntity,HFMAccount,Currency,Value
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1610_YFAI,AAMO,CNY,-18450
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1611_YFAI,AAMO_6183,CNY,-18450
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1613_YFAI,ADEP,CNY,-1627.32
May.15,FY2015,ACTUAL,AE1614_YFAI,ADEP_61090,CNY,-1627.32

The "HFMEntity" column value has to be appended with "_YFAI" constant for all the lines in the file. AE1610 to AE1610_YFAI.

Kindly help me with this scenario. Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you
# 2  
Old 06-16-2015
Code:

awk -F, 'NR>1{$4=$4"_YFAI"}1' OFS=, infile > outfile

# 3  
Old 06-16-2015
Thanks a lot. It works perfect Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pattern from nth field from a file

I have posted this again as old post is closed and I am not able to reopen. so please consider this new post Input File : 1,A,Completed,06.02_19.36,Jun 30 20:00 2,BBB,Failed,07.04_05.12,Jul 21 19:06 3,CCCCC,New,07.21_03.03,Jul 26 12:57 4,DDDDD,Pending,, I wast output file as: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pattern from nth field from a file

$ cat /cygdrive/d/Final2.txt 1,A ,Completed, 07.03_23.01 ,Jun 30 20:00 2,BBB,Pending,, 3,CCCCC,Pending,, 4,DDDDD,Pending,, 5,E,Pending,, 6,FFFF,Pending,, 7,G,Pending,, In the above file 4th field is date which is in MM.DD_HH.MIN format and I need to convert it to as it is there in 5th... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a value of Nth field of nth row

Using Awk, how can I achieve the following? I have set of record numbers, for which, I have to replace the nth field with some values, say spaces. Eg: Set of Records : 4,9,10,55,89,etc I have to change the 8th field of all the above set of records to spaces (10 spaces). Its a delimited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a nth field from a comma delimited file

Hi, In my file (which is "," delimited and text qualifier is "), I have to extract a particualr field. file1: 1,"aa,b",4 expected is the 2nd field: aa,b I tried the basic cut -d "," -f 2 file 1, this gave me aa alone instead aa,b. A small hint ot help on this will be very... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing field in specific line in a file

Hi, I know there are lots of threads on replacing text within files, usually using sed or awk. However, I find it hard to adapt examples that I found to my specific case. I am kind of new to UNIX and have hard times learning the syntax either for sed or awk so I would appreciate any help. Here's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vytenis
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string in nth line

Hello All, How to replace a string in nth line of a file using sed or awk. For Ex: test.txt Line 1 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 Line 2 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST4 Line 3 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST5 Line 4 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST6 Line 5 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST7 i want to go to 4th line of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth occurrence in line and replacing it

Hi, I have several files with data that have to be imported to a database. These files contain records with separator characters. Some records are corrupt (2 separators are missing) and I need to correct them prior to importing them into the db. Example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the last field of a line.

Hi, I wrote a script which extracts data from 2 tables (joining the tables together) and outputs the fields to a csv file. the output may look something like scenario 1: a,b,c,d,1,2,3,4 or scenario 2: a,b,c,d,,,, now, in the second scenario, there are some empty fields at the end of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darek
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question