Can a "route add" command crash a router? well it does...need help

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can a "route add" command crash a router? well it does...need help
# 1  
Old 12-18-2001
Can a "route add" command crash a router? well it does...need help

OK
Sun E420R server
Solaris 7

Command:
route add default ###.###.###.###

15 Seconds later my router is rebooting and will continue this until I flush the route table on the server

Any ideas?! Help!!
# 2  
Old 12-19-2001
Question Need more info

What kind of route (numbers) are you trying to add and where does that route go? Give a little bit more info...
# 3  
Old 12-19-2001
Even if the unix host was misbehaving in some way, a router should never crash. If your router is rebooting repeatedly, it is broken. You need to persue this with your router vendor. They may have a patch or something. Also check your router documentation. I'll bet that there is a log in router that will reveal why it crashes.
# 4  
Old 12-20-2001
I have been through all the router stuff
Its a known thing that if you overload a router specified port, which I will resist typing it will crash or force a reboot. I tested this out with 4 different types and different class routers. Happened each time. I get the feeling of a virus, or something running on the box that I never authorized.

If you really want the numbers for the command:
route add default 192.168.212.1

Nothing specific just routed everything to the router.
This machine is supposed to be only running Raid Managers and Oracle Databases, which is what I see in the poled system. Nothing looks out of the ordinary.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"Network error: No route to host" While connecting guest RHEL4 using putty

Hi, I have installed RHEL4 using vmware workstation.. Host OS: Windows XP Guest OS: RHEL4 Pls refer step 17 & 18 in below link... ORACLE-BASE - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and Centos 4 Installation 1) If i choose to assign IP automatically (using DHCP) means, i am able to connect RHEL4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to control remotely "full" Linux router in GUI ?

Hi, I mean Unix Linux general solution, so please don't move my question, as it's Unix specific. I would like to remotely control my "full" Linux router. Already succeeded to compile Linux Unix dialog, running some tests. The issue is dialog comes with a limited number of widget boxes for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
4 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

/dev/core "link to program crash data"

Hi there, I found a link to a file /dev/core of 17 GB Is it ok??? I couldn't find many information about it. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance, Giordano Bruno PS: I'm working with FEDORA 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Route add" problems...

Hi all... i need to add a route to a HP-UX 11.11 U server. Well, i have this server in a 192.168.1.x network and i need to reach a new fresh network with the IP 192.168.237.x trough the 192.168.1.247 gateway, then, when i run the "route add" command this fail all the time, it only show this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaddet
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question