csh: Parameters in Shell Script Help

Top Forums Programming csh: Parameters in Shell Script Help
# 1  
Old 04-24-2012
Question csh: Parameters in Shell Script Help

I have a program that is designed to take the first parameter (a file extension) and use it to rewrite the file stored in the second paramerter with the new extension. And if the current file does not exist then the program will print an error message "No such file."

For example, my program is chExt.sh and if the first parameter is the extension 'txt' and my second paramter is the current file name 'marcopolo.grp' then the program would rewrite the file to 'marcopolo.txt'

When executing the program like this ./chExt.sh 'txt' 'marcopolo.grp'
the program successfully rewrites the file to 'marcopolo.txt'

When executing the program like this ./chExt.sh 'cpp' 'batman.FIG'
the program successfully rewrites the file to 'batman.cpp'

The problem I am having is if the second parameter is a file name with the special character "$" in the extension...
For example, ./chExt.sh 'bar' 'fo$o.b$r' does not successfully rewrite the file name to what it should be (fo$o.bar). Smilie

My current script is...

Code:

#!/bin/csh

set ext="$1"
shift

echo the remaining are $*
foreach file (${*:q})
echo $file
if (-r "$file") then
set newName=`echo "$file" | sed 's/\.[A-Za-z0-9]*$/'".$ext"'/g'`
echo $newName
if ( "$file" == "$newName" ) then
:
else
mv "$file" "$newName"
endif
end
else
echo "$file": No such file
end
endif

Thank you for any feedback.
# 2  
Old 04-24-2012
Bumping up posts or double posting is not permitted in these forums.

Please read the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

You may receive an infraction for this. If so, don't worry, just try to follow the rules more carefully. The infraction will expire in the near future

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass C shell array to another C shell script(csh) and shell(sh)

Dear Friends, Please help me on this my script name is send.csh In this i have written the statement like this set args = ( city state country price ) I want to pass this array to another c shell called receiver.csh. and i want to use it in this c shell or how to pass to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I fetch few parameters in Shell script?

Hi All, I want to fetch few details out of a huge output of AWS CLI tools : I am using this command : ec2-describe-instances (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run csh environment parameters from k-shell script?

Hi Guys, I need to run an alias from a k-shell script ,for example 10204, which points to : source $ORACLE_BASE/scripts/cshrc/10204/.cshrc Meaning , I need to run in my k-shell script with the env settings parameters of the alias. How to do it in k-shell? Thanks in advance, Nir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a bash script in csh shell?

Hi how to execute a bash script in csh shell? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rubinovito
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script with parameters?

hi , I wanted to create a script, and I have no idea how to, and I would appreciate any help on that. Any advice on solving this is welcome. Thanks Here it goes: make a shell script in bash that show the activity of users. The results should be a summary or a complete report in a file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubu-user
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameters from perl to csh scripts

I use csh a lot but I don't really write csh scripts. Now I have a need to implement a security check (written in perl; verify an user input security code) into a csh script. Here is the senario: #csh 1. call the perl script 2. if the perl script returns 'true', pass on; if the perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Julian16
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

call another shell script and pass parameters to that shell script

Hi, I basically have 2 shell scripts. One is a shell script will get the variable value from the user. The variable is nothing but the IP of the remote system. Another shell script is a script that does the job of connecting to the remote system using ssh. This uses a expect utility in turn. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling csh script from ksh shell

hi, I have a csh script, which has setenv X xyz etc My shell is korn Is there some way I can "source" this to have the variables in my current korn shell? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me in sending parameters from sqlplus script to unix shell script

Can anybody help me out in sending parameters from sql*plus script to unix shell script without using flat files.. Initially in a shell script i will call sql*plus and after getting some value from some tables, i want that variable value in unix shell script. How can i do this? Please tell me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hara
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question