Difference between "." and sh

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference between "." and sh
# 1  
Old 06-04-2008
Difference between "." and sh

Hi All,

I am using kshell and want to know difference between running ksh using "." and "sh"

When we should run by sh and "."

Thanks
# 2  
Old 06-04-2008
The dot-command (e.g.: . myscript.sh) means read in the file in the current shell and execute it line-by-line

On the other hand, executing any of the following:

sh myscript.sh
ksh myscript.sh
myscript.sh

(assuming that myscript.sh has +x for me) results in calling a child shell and executing myscript.sh in the child's environment.

Obviously, in the first form, any change in the environment (i.e. by commands like "cd <another-directory>") will happen in the current shell while in any of the second forms, they are happening in the child's environment and the current one is left unchanged.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mindboggling difference between using "tee" and "/usr/bin/tee" in bash

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I manually updated my coreutils so that "tee" is now on version 8.27 I was running a script using bash where there is some write to pipe error at some point causing the tee command to exit abruptly while the script continues to run. The newer version of tee seems to prevent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stompadon
2 Replies

3. SuSE

Difference in file size between "ls -l" and "du -a"

mail:/var/lib/named/proc # ls -l |grep kcore -r-------- 1 root root 140737486266368 Jun 3 19:47 kcore mail:/var/lib/named/proc # du -a |grep kcore 0 ./kcore System is SuSE 11.2 SP1. The system appears to run correctly, and the output of df -v shows the correct disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about the difference between "for" and "while" loop

dear all, i got some questions about for/while loop when working on redirect command output to for/while loop. take one for example : in for loop : allfiles=`find /var/log -maxdepth 1 -type f -mtime +5` index=1 for ((i=0; i<${#allfiles}; i++)); do echo "$index:${allfiles}" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - difference between -F"," and BEGIN{FS=","}

in awk, what is the difference between: -F"," and BEGIN{FS=","} (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

8. Programming

what difference between "terminal" and "console"

1 . Thank you for reading the post first. 2 . what difference between "terminal" and "console" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question