Dell XPS M1330 doesn't detect optical drive

Special Forums Hardware Dell XPS M1330 doesn't detect optical drive
# 1  
Old 12-10-2019
Dell XPS M1330 doesn't detect optical drive

I have a Dell XPS M1330 laptop. The OS is Windows 10. I had to replace the motherboard because it was bad. After replacing the motherboard I noticed the optical (DVD/CD) drive is neither detected in BIOS and OS nor making any noise at all. Everything else seems to be working fine. The optical drive was working before I replaced the motherboard. So I removed the optical drive and the connector cable and cleaned the cable and the pins on the optical drive with a toothbrush and put the laptop back and booted. This time I could hear the optical drive making noise right after I boot. When I tried to insert a CD it accepted the CD and I can hear it spinning. However, the DVD/CD drive is still not listed in BIOS nor in the OS. In the BIOS, it says "none" for fixed bay device. The DVD/CD drive is not listed in the boot menu either when I press F12 to select a boot device.

What does this tell you?
# 2  
Old 12-10-2019
I'm thinking...............

1. Perhaps the new mobo is faulty as far as this peripheral is concerned
2. Have you accidentally bent a pin on the mobo socket where this device plugs in?
3. Does the mobo have a jumper wrongly set to enable this device? (Compare to old mobo)
4. Is there a separate power connector for this device which you forgot to connect? (Probably not if it's whirring)

Can you connect this optical to another system temporarily just to check that it's working?

If the system BIOS can't see it then you have no hope until it does.

Last edited by hicksd8; 12-10-2019 at 01:04 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 12-15-2019
Also, I suppose that the new mobo could have a different BIOS to the old one and now has an option to switch off the optical device.

Are the BIOS versions of the old and new mobo's the same?

If the 'new' mobo has an old BIOS perhaps you need to upgrade it.

Last edited by hicksd8; 12-16-2019 at 08:22 AM..
# 4  
Old 01-29-2020
Hi,

Looks like the problem was the mobo. Got a new motherboard off of eBay and now the new mobo detects the optical drive fine.

Thanks for the help.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't detect my second monitor

I have Ubuntu 16.04 (dual boot with Windows 10) and a HP Spectre x360 laptop. I have recently bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2515H monitor, which I connect via a Dell docking station. When I plug the docking station to my laptop on Windows, both monitors are detected and everything works fine. ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
23 Replies

2. AIX

AIX doesn't detect TS3200 tape library

Hi all, I have a problem here root@host1 / # lsdev -Cc tape rmt0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) rmt1 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) smc0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3573 Tape Medium Changer (FCP) root@host1 / # cfgmgr -l fcs2 Method error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

3. Hardware

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14.I tried to install it but could not install.Installation hanged at detecting hardware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamapraveen
1 Replies

4. Solaris

cannot detect NIC card on dell vostro 1500

i installed solaris 5.10 on dell vostro 1500...but it does not detect interface card....i need to pratice networking concepts ............please help me in this regard... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why getopts doesn't detect correctly my switches?

Dear all, I have created a KornShell script containing swiches with getopts (command line switches). Normally, my script should work like this: $ ./myscript.ksh -a 12 -b 4 -c 78 The switch a was selected with the argument 12 The switch b was selected with the argument 4 The switch c was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to set up an optical drive

Trying to get my unix system to recognize an optical drive, it was delivered to us, so we assumed it worked, in the 2 years since no one ever has used it, we want to now. However, even running probe-scsi-all doesn't bring up that drive. It's a scsi address of 3, at the end of the chain, all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Magneto-Optical drive for SCO Openserver 5.0.5

Hi, I tried to install Magneto-Optical (MO) drive Fujutsu to COMPAQ Proliant ML350 with SCO Openserver 5.0.5. Harddisk and MO are connected to Adaptec UW-SCSI-3 (driver ad160). During boot process system shows me that MO is connected to host adapter 1, bus 0, SCSI ID 1 and LUN 0. But when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yurist
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question