No command prompt after SSH/SCP

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) No command prompt after SSH/SCP
# 1  
Old 07-22-2009
No command prompt after SSH/SCP

Recently whenever I log out of an SSH session, or copy something using SCP, I get no response from my shell.

Running with ssh -v showed no errors when exiting.

Normally I could deal with this, but I believe it's causing errors elsewhere when scripts try to download things from external servers, and the process hangs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass password and prompt user for IP address while doing ssh and scp?

Hi All, I want to copy /.ssh/OM.pub file from source to destination. Here source IP address, username and password is always fixed. Whereas destination server IP address, password always gets changed. From destination server :- I am trying to write a script in which it should log in to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhur.baharani
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp not working because of prompt (AIX, tcsh)

Hello, I have this problem: I have a server to which I ssh, and it has a special prompt request. The prompt is done by a ?prompt command. It is fine with SSH, since the prompt I guess gets some input, but when I use SCP, the copy always fails. So, I was wondering if there is maybe a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh to remote command prompt

Hi all, Scenario - trying to run a batch job on a second machine. DIR=directory user=user server=server Here is what i have- ssh user@server 'sleep2; cd $DIR; <jobname>' I have got access to the correct directory, i checked with a pwd command previous. Problem is the job i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hopper_no1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script submitted using ssh does not return to command prompt

Gurus, I have written a shell script to backup a database and applications. This is how the script works: 1. As applications user (say applmgr), the main backup script, say backup.sh, is kicked off. 2. backup.sh does ssh to oracle user and kicks off the database backup using nohup and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunpraveen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH and SCP HELP

Hi all Iam using ssh and trying to change to a different user but im not able to do it. -------- Script.sh ssh user@hostname sudo rootsh whoami -------- -------- Script2.sh ssh user@hostname su - username password whoami --------- When i run the Script.sh it is connecting to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
4 Replies

6. Solaris

scp prompt when home directory is 777

Morning all, I was running some deployment scripts on Friday night that kept failing because it prompted for a password for a user I was already sudo'd in as when trying to scp a file onto itself. e.g. on server 51.123.123.123 as sudo dlam typing: scp testfile dlam@51.123.123.123:/tmp ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
5 Replies

7. Solaris

SSH/SCP Question

Thanks to this forum, I was able to get a program running that uses SSH to control programs running on other hosts. Now I'd like to enhance it. The control program on the target hosts occassionally needs to be updated. Updating the menu program on the source host is easy as it is on one host. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PabloCruise77
1 Replies

8. BSD

SCP and ssh

I can't get ssh ans scp to work between to host on my network. I am prompted for the password and it isn't accepting the password and I know the password is correct because I am using the root password. What do I need to do to get ssh working between the two host and scp. I can putty into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH and SCP

The following ksh script is trying to get a file's cksum then, scp it over to a remote machine - get the cksum there and then compare the two cksums to make sure they match. I am having problems setting a variable on the remote host where it can be read locally. Is this even possible - reading a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: berrean
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to restrict Core file generation after scp (of SSH) command executed in UNIX

Hi, I am getting core file in local machine after trasfer files to other machine by using scp (secure copy) of SSH in UNIX. Could any one please tell me how to restrict core file generatation by using scp command. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrsekhar
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)					      General Commands Manual					       bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)

NAME
bssh/bvnc/bshell - Browse for SSH/VNC servers on the local network SYNOPSIS
bssh bvnc bshell DESCRIPTION
bssh/bvnc/bshell browses for SSH/VNC servers on the local network, shows them in a GUI for the user to select one and finally calls ssh/vncviewer after a selection was made. If the binary is called as bssh only ssh servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bvnc only VNC servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bshell both VNC and SSH servers are shown. OPTIONS
-s | --ssh Browse for SSH servers (and only SSH servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -v | --vnc Browse for VNC servers (and only VNC servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -S | --shell Browse for both VNC and SSH servers regardless under which name the binary is called. -d | --domain= DOMAIN Browse in the specified domain. If omitted bssh/bvnc/bshell will browse in the default browsing domain (usually .local) -h | --help Show help. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-browse(1), ssh(1), vncviewer(1) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)