pipes inside

Top Forums Programming pipes inside
# 8  
Old 04-07-2005
Hmmm.... Very strange rule, I think. What's difference between student's problem and problem of real programmer? Especially if you see my problem isn't from RTFM category. But I follow the rules and next time invent something about angry boss and crashing project Smilie
# 9  
Old 04-07-2005
We bend the rules a little every now and then. Solaris Internals Core Kernel Architectures was no help. It barely mentions pipes and it ignores Streams. The Magic Garden Explained was more helpful. The Streams pipe driver just sets up a read queue and a write queue connected to each other. The data area is dynamically allocated and is private to the driver. The kernel must access it by using the read and write routines that get connected to the vnode. Since it is dynamically allocated and private to the driver you are not going to get an address or anything. Hope that helps.
# 10  
Old 04-09-2005
Perderabo, thanks a lot, your answer really helped me!
# 11  
Old 04-10-2005
I bought my copy of "The Magic Garden Explained" back when I worked for Motorola. I was thinking of buying a copy for a friend as a present (geeky I know), but I guess the book is now out of print. There seems to be a number of acceptable used choices, but I'm suprised that such a resource would be out of print.

Keith
# 12  
Old 04-10-2005
Here is another option. Check this out. I bought a copy at that $4.99 price and I got a hardback edition. The book describes 386BSD which is why this book is out of print. But it's a very good kernel book nonetheless. It is different from most kernel books. Rather than explaining how a kernel works, this book tries to explain how to write a kernel. And for $4.99, it's a bargain! Smilie
# 13  
Old 04-10-2005
Just bought mine as well. Sounds like yet another good resource. Thanks

Keith
# 14  
Old 04-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranki
Hmmm.... Very strange rule, I think. What's difference between student's problem and problem of real programmer? Especially if you see my problem isn't from RTFM category. But I follow the rules and next time invent something about angry boss and crashing project Smilie

The short answer is we like you to explore the answer first... then come here with questions...

The end result is YOU learn more thru exploration...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renumber position 88-94 inside all files matching criteria inside folder

There are 4 files inside one folder matching criteria i.e. File name = ABCJmdmfbsjopXXXXXXX_mm-dd-yyyy_XXX.data Here is the Code which find the files matching criteria:- TS=`date +"%m-%d-%Y"`| for fname in `find . -name "ABCJmdmfbsjop???????_${TS}*.data"` do # Matching File Processing Code.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
1 Replies

2. Programming

Question on pipes in C

If a code forks 2 childs, what can the values be for the process id's of each of the child? I child pid is supposed to be 0, but what if you fork 2 of them? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
5 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with pipes

problem solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superfons
1 Replies

4. Programming

Pipes in C

Hello all, I am trying to learn more about programming Unix pipes in C. I have created a pipe that does od -bc < myfile | head Now, I am trying to create od -bc < myfile | head | wc Here is my code, and I know I might be off, thats why I am here so I can get some clarification. #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petrca
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning about pipes!

im trying to figure out how to do the following: using pipes to combine grep and find commands to print all lines in files that start with the letter f in the current directory that contain the word "test" for example? again using pipes to combine grep and find command, how can I print all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ez45
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

broken pipes

A broken pipe means that you are writing onto a pipe that has been closed by the other end. i have unix batch which forks some process and these processes are communicating each other via pipes. but sometimes i got too many broken pipe error. how can i search for the cause of these errors,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yakari
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping a array inside inside ssh is not working, pls help

set -A arr a1 a2 a3 a4 # START ssh -xq $Server1 -l $Username /usr/bin/ksh <<-EOS integer j=0 for loop in ${arr} do printf "array - ${arr}\n" (( j = j + 1 )) j=`expr j+1` done EOS # END ========= this is not giving me correct output. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt about pipes

can we use pipes to redirect the output of any command to grep ..... like i wanted to write this script about checking the online status of a certain user so ...can i send the output of who to grep directly using pipes... one way was this : who > temp grep $uname temp i was wondering if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evergreen_cool
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd using pipes

Hi, Can the cd command be invoked using pipes??? My actual question is slightly different. I am trying to run an executable from different folders and the path of these folders are obtained dynamically from the front end. Is there a way in which i can actually run the executable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sinbad
2 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question